Seymour Duncan SH-14 Custom 5

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seymour Duncan SH-14 Custom 5

Has anyone here played with this pickup? I've heard it gives a great early VH sound.

Re: Seymour Duncan SH-14 Custom 5

I just put an SH11 in my Jackson Snakeskin strat, it sounds great! I can get that old Brown sound with it thru my Marshall.
    The SH11 is little bit higher gain the SH14, both excellent pickups, my buddy put an SH14 in his Brian Moore C90 an it sounds very very good!
    If this is our perdition, will you walk with me?

Comment

I've not played the Custom 5, just a Custom and Custom Custom. The CC is the closest to the early VH tone with its A2 magnet. It has a big mid spike that I love. The Custom 5 should sound like a hotter 59, due to the A5 mag. It's a little more scooped than the CC. The Custom is a little more aggressive due to the ceramic mag. I refer to it as a "Distortion Lite." Either one is a great pickup and will get you in the ball park of the VH tone since they're all overwound PAF type pickups.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
        I've not played the Custom 5, just a Custom and Custom Custom. The CC is the closest to the early VH tone with its A2 magnet. It has a big mid spike that I love. The Custom 5 should sound like a hotter 59, due to the A5 mag. It's a little more scooped than the CC. The Custom is a little more aggressive due to the ceramic mag. I refer to it as a "Distortion Lite." Either one is a great pickup and will get you in the ball park of the VH tone since they're all overwound PAF type pickups.

[/ QUOTE ]

Travis using any pup other than a Distortion? Say it ain't so! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
        My future band shall be known as "One Samich Short Of A Picnic"!

Comment

Yeah, that's like Newc abdicating his throne in the Krylon Cult. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

Thanks guys. [img]/images/graemlins/eviltongue.gif[/img]

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
              Yeah, that's like Newc abdicating his throne in the Krylon Cult. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]
              [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] you guys are good today [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
              Hail yesterday

Comment

Too bad that in the local shops here in Santo Domingo I can't just go and try some pickps to choise from.

NumberOfThePriest: whats you equipment list?

Comment

travis is right, the custom custom will get you closest to VH sound for sure. the c5 tends to be a bit too scopped and thin in alder or ash to get as close to the sound as the thicker more "round" sounding custom custom does. the c5 sounds great in a les paul however! i've tried more pickups in strat like guitars than you can imagine, the list of pickups i've tried is starting to catch up with the amount of guitars i've owned lol.

-Mike
                  www.DAvanzoGuitars.com

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                    NumberOfThePriest: whats you equipment list?

[/ QUOTE ]

What?! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] I probably shouldn't have barged in this thread with my fat mouth without giving some details or recommendations, shouldn't I? [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Let's just say that I have not tried any of the Duncan Custom pickups. Again, I have a fat mouth and I apologize for not helping you in your quest for tone. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                    X