Guitar strings wrapped backwards around the post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Guitar strings wrapped backwards around the post

Ok, call me crazy (like you don't already [img]/images/graemlins/poke.gif[/img] ) but this struck me as kinda odd:

-You turn your guitar/amp/whatever knobs clockwise to increase the output
    -You turn a screw/nut clockwise to tighten it
    -You wind a watch (for those who wind watches) clockwise
    -You turn a truss rod clockwise to tighten it
    -You turn a spring key in a toy (before batteries, for you kids [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]) clockwise
    -You install a lightbulb by turning it clockwise
    -You tighten a cap on a bottle by turning it clockwise

-But you tighten a guitar string by turning the tuner counter-clockwise [img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]

Maybe THAT'S why you see people that wind their strings backwards?
    I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Re: Guitar strings wrapped backwards around the post

no, its just ignorance.

cause on an accoustic or any 3-n-3 headstock... 3 of them you turn clockwise. (well ok you could argue that either way)

also. certain plumbing and bike pedals go counterclockwise.
    Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

<font color="yellow">Newc...we're buds and all that but bro, you have entirely too much time on your hands at work/home to think of this stuff [img]/images/graemlins/help.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] </font>

Comment

<font color="aqua">Is this going to be the same argument as why some older mopar vehicles have left handed lug nut threads? [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] </font>
        Dave ->

"would someone answer that damn phone?!?!"

Comment

On jackson headstocks(any pointy heads really) I've found that putting the strings on backwards around the post on the Low E to the B-string gives a better angle at the nut. The High E strings should be wrapped around the tuner post regurarly.

This should help for people with string-thru jacksons with pointy heads who have tuning problems. of course they'll have to make a new nut for the new string angles.

argh
          /Chewi(because I'm really hairy)

Comment

Re: Guitar strings wrapped backwards around the po

Newc and I always have entirely too much time on our hands... go see my EPIPHANY/EPIPHONE thread in the Other Manufacturers section. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

Holy crap Newc!!! You just solved all my problems!!! I've been living in counterclockwise hell for years. [img]/images/graemlins/what.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
              Thanks, bro! [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                no, its just ignorance.

cause on an accoustic or any 3-n-3 headstock... 3 of them you turn clockwise.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not true, because the 1-3 are upside down.
                Think of them in terms of light bulbs and bottle caps - 1-3 are light bulbs in the ceiling, 4-6 are bottle caps.
                I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

Comment

And Newc always has the analogy for anything. Finally, someone with more useless knowledge than me. [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]
                  -Lou
                  " I do not pay women for sex. I pay for them to leave after the sex ". -Wise words of Charlie Sheen

Comment

Zakk Wylde has bottle caps on one of his guitars. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

I like candy bottle caps.
                      Don't forget the corn. It's nutritious, delicious, and ribbed for her pleasure.

Comment

Nuts & bolts go clockwise because most people are righties and that motion best suits the way humans are constructed. It would be opposite if most of us were lefties.

So, then. What hand do YOU use to tune with? Aha. The left. There ya go. ;-)

Comment

Do toilets in Australia really swirl the opposite direction comparted to North American toilets.

Maybe people south of the equator wind their strings clockwise [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

The only reason I have seen to wrap the strings the opposite direction is to minimize string angle as it crosses the nut. The literature that came with the Rand guitar that I bought back in '88 actually recommends stringing the guitar in this manner.

Comment

Then the tuners must be misaligned, because wrapping them normally around the post (take a left around the post coming off the nut for a standard righty 6-inline head), minimizes the string angle.
                              I'm talking about people who wrap their strings around the back of the post - take a left off the nut and circle around the back of the post towards the center of the headstock, putting a sharper angle on the strings.

I suppose if the nut has been cut this way, then it might help with non-locking trem stability, but judging by the fact that everything else is "lefty loosey, righty tighty", I'd say that people who wind their strings backwards are following that standard.

Comment

Working...
                              X