Edge trem guestion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Edge trem guestion

Does anyone know if the original edge trem comes in both a long block and short block version like floyds do? I finally got a trem that fits the spacing on my BC Rich st3 but the block is too short. The previous owner said it had an original edge trem on it and amazingly the edge studs actually fit the thread of the inserts in this guitar, and Ive tried many. This trem would be perfect if it was a "long" version. Anyone know? [img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]

Re: Edge trem guestion

From what I remember The Edge was designed to be recessed, therefore they probably didn't have a long block. It's quite possible that the previous owner swapped out the long block from an original floyd rose. I think a lot of the parts between Edge and Floyd may be interchangable.
    Occupy JCF

Comment

I was just beginning to think about that. Now I get to take apart 2 trems. Fun! I found a post (HC review) by a guy in Europe about his edge trem having a long block and having to switch it to a short block. Ive emailed him and maybe he still has it laying around. Oh, well, its almost ready to play, I guess I can wait a bit longer....

Comment

I have an original Edge on a Charvel Mod 4 project, and it is a long block. I also had a shorter blocked one and sold it cos I couldn't use it.
        "Your work is ingenius…it’s quality work….and there are simply too many notes…that’s all, just cut a few, and it’ll be perfect."

Comment

Ah, so it does exist, or can be done at least.Good to hear. [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

Comment

As another option. I used to have an '86 Kramer Baretta (sold it Charvelguy). The trem was a top mount trem with an OFR, but it had a short block. The route for the springs was angled to the springs would clear the body. This was done factory and worked fine.

Comment

Yeah, I saw that as an option, but I dont want to mess with the wood or paint at all. The guitar is factory neon orange and Im thinking that any extra routing or shaving would kill any value that it might have. I contacted Rich at Ibanezrules and he said that the long blocks do exist but were not sold seperately. He didnt know if a floyd block would fit. I'll have to check that out tonight, just got home from work. I actually stuck my schaller charvel floyd on there and it almost fits perfectly. Probably fine if blocked but probably no good for divebombs and staying in tune.Also Ive got this cheap licensed floyd that I,m seriously considering filing out the one side knife edge square like the edge trem is. If that worked then I could stick any trem I wanted in it and be done with it.

Comment

I think the very first Edge was a longer block, for the Roadstar series. And there's a very short block for the old FGM model, IIRC. But the vast majority of edges you'll see are the same block size.

Comment

Working...
                X