yet another pickup reccomendation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• yet another pickup reccomendation

im looking for a humbucker for my strat, mainly to use for clean/slightly dirty tones. certainly not a hot metal pickup, but something that cleans up very easily. I still want to be able to get a decent rock sound though.

Re: yet another pickup reccomendation

any specific brand, duncan or dimarzio or ??? or it doesn't matter? i know some people wont play X brand so better to ask before giving you some ideas.

-Mike
    www.DAvanzoGuitars.com

Comment

I have played a ton of humbuckers and the best I have ever experienced is the SD Blues Saraceno Trembucker. It is a PAF type with an Alnico 5 magnet. It is fat, will clean up nicely and can still rip with the best of them. It is NOT an overpowered distortion type pickup and has a wondefully musical and fat tone.

Best kept secret in the SD line.

Mike
      Sleep. The sound doesn't collapse to riffs of early eyes either.

Comment

I think the Custom 5 Duncan has a pretty nice clean tone.

Comment

Dimarzio Super Distortion cleans up well, if you roll back the volume a bit. Sounds good split, too.

A PAF will be even less dirty.

Comment

thanks guys. i figured the PAF would be a pretty good start, and i will definately check out the Blues Saraceno

Comment

I recently installed a Bill Lawrence L450 4.6 into one of my Strats. VERY nice - great cleans, and gets dirty when needed.
              "You are so stupid that I am surprised you have not collapsed into a singularity of stupidity." - Anon

Comment

A seymour duncan 59 will do the trick,PM me for a link to one.

Comment

JB?

Comment

ok since it seems like your up for anything. i say go with a duncan custom custom. in a strat the mid range bump in the eq will fatten things up nicely and it does clean very well and can do rock no problem and can go into all out balls to the walls metal with no problem. i own several strats and have tried TONS of pickups in them and for you wanting clean and enough "push" for some rock the custom custom should fit the bill perfectly. if you go with a jb it may sound a bit thin to you as would a custom 5 due to the less mids. another good option that i have in one of my strats is the dimarzio breed. it cleans up well and is also nice and full sounding without being either muddy or harsh.

-Mike
                    www.DAvanzoGuitars.com

Comment

I agree with XSSIVE
                      Go with the SH-11 Custom Custom.
                      You may want to switch to a different volume pot though.
                      I had a 250k CTS pot and switched to the new 1M CTS and it gave the SH-11 a ton of breathing room. Very clean, but has a ton of punch when pushed.
                      -Rick

Comment

yeah i forgot to mention that, your best bet is to use IMO a 500k pot with the custom custom. it may be a bit muddy with a 250k but thats something you can mess with for only the cost of a new pot to see which you like best.

-Mike
                        www.DAvanzoGuitars.com

Comment

Working...
                        X