Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Putting a Floyd Locking nut on a pointy neck.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Putting a Floyd Locking nut on a pointy neck.

I have a Charvel Model 1A, and it has a vintage tremolo. Ive decided that I want to retrofit it with a Floyd Rose, complete with the locking nut. Ive decided that if your going to whammy, a locking nut is the only way to stay in tune. Behind the nut locks DONT cut it either, in fact, they make it worse in my opinion.

I dont think the installation will be incredibly difficult, it seems pretty simple. Pop off the nut, line up the lock nut and shim under it to balance for the angled headstock.

Has anyone ever put a locking nut on a Charvel pointy neck? If so, please give me some tips and pointers and perhaps even some pictures of completed jobs.

Thanks alot.

Re: Putting a Floyd Locking nut on a pointy neck.

Here's a link
    www.jcfonline.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=493247&an=0&page=1#49324 7

Comment

Nice, thanks!

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
        Behind the nut locks DONT cut it either, in fact, they make it worse in my opinion.

[/ QUOTE ]

Is this true? I have an Aria neck with a Kahler "behind the nut" lock, but it's been a 15 year project in pieces. I've started sanding down the body getting it ready to paint.

If behind the nut locks are that bad, I'll have to do the same operation.

On my other Aria, I have a graphite nut with no lock. It seems to stay in tune pretty good.

I will say I'm not a heavy whammy bar user.

Comment

Well, I had an 1986 Charvel Model 3, with a behind-the-nut lock and I had a terrible struggle with it. The problem lies in the nut. It was probably because it had a plastic nut with provides very little lubrication and the string always got caught on it, and if the behind the nut lock was locked, then you couldn't adjust without getting your allen wrench back out again.

If you have a graphite nut with wide slots, then you can do pretty good, but not great. I like to use my whammy heavily, so I need a locking nut. You can get away with light whammy use with a graphite nut. My model 1A actually has a graphite nut, but it gets off sometimes with too much vintage tremolo abuse, usually the G string.

It doesnt really make it "worse", it just make it more difficult to fix your tuning when your out of tune.

Comment

Umm.. I'm not sure I understand your complaints.

You are saying that you will have a hard time adjusting your tuning because of the locking nut behind the regular one?

(If you go with a Kahler)

Last time I needed to make minor tuning adjustments I just used the fine tuners. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

'course, if a major adjustment was need, out came the allen wrench.. on a regular Floyd nut.. imagine that! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Seriously, I've had at least 3 Charvels with Kahler nuts, they were no more or less hassle than a regular Floyd nut for me.

Comment

My model 3 had a Kahler Traditional trem, with very bad fine tuners, that didn't really seem to work properly. Not anything at all like a nice set of Floyd fine tuners. Thats beside the point though, my Charvel will have a floyd rose so minor adjustments are not a problem. What IS a problem, is the string getting caught up in the nut. Yes, fine tuners can repair the problem, but instead of repairing the problem, I would like to prevent it altogether by having a locking nut.

I have several Ibanez guitars with Edge tremolos that can go weeks without tuning. They can handle anything I throw at them, they are bulletproof, from making motorcycle sounds to fluttering, from hitting a doublestop and pulling back and making it SCREAM. I want my Charvel to be able to do the same.

I want what I want, and It shouldn't matter why. If your completely happy with your Kahler nuts, thats sweet dude. Ive had one before, and I really dont care to have another one.

I was just asking for tips for the installation process.

Comment

Working...
              X