Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finish scratches, that won't go away!

Hey folks,
    I've been finishing out a guitar using my "normal" routine: 400 grit, 600, 800, 1000, 1500 and 2000. From there I usually start with a compound, then a slightly milder abrasive, then swirl/scratch remover and the a light wax buffout, and it's showroom shine. [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
    But...
    For some reason, I can't get the light scratches to buff out of this one. I even went back and re-sanded with 1000, 1500 and 2000, and when I start buffing I can see the scratches. They're so shallow that I can't even feel them, but turned into the light, the guitar is covered with them. Anyone have any ideas how to handle this stubborn bastard? [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

Re: Finish scratches, that won\'t go away!

Have I seen this one? [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/popcorn.gif[/img]
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam!

Comment

Yeah, it's the newly renovated "triple pickup". [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
      The other one looks like a million bucks, but this one is giving me hell!

Comment

are the scratches coming from the buffer? you may need to start with a new/clean buffing pad?

if that's not it, and you've not been able to get them out at 1000 grit, i'd go down to 800 briefly and go from there. it could be that the scratches are no match for the 1000 grit, and anything higher than that also won't do.

just some food for thought, although 800 grit on clear isn't always the most comforting idea. it's funny how something like 800 grit can have an impact not unlike 80 grit, ya know?

sully
        Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
        Sully Guitars on Facebook
        Sully Guitars on Google+
        Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Hey Sully, isn't there some sort of compound product that will fill miniscule scratches while it buff out? I remember somebody here mentioning that once...thought it was you, or maybe MM2002...

Comment

other than fine cut compound and swirl remover, i'm not sure. i think that mm2002 may have been the one who mentioned that. besides the idea that i posted above, my other thought is that you may be moving through the grits too fast.

sully
            Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
            Sully Guitars on Facebook
            Sully Guitars on Google+
            Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

<font color="aqua">possibly you're thinking of that Novus plastic polish? That stuff works great for fine scratches and it comes in different consistancies as well. </font>
              Dave ->

"would someone answer that damn phone?!?!"

Comment

Working...
              X