Tips for repairing a loose strap lock

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tips for repairing a loose strap lock

One of the strap locks on one of my guitars has become loose and I can't seem to tighten the screw that holds the strap lock. How can I repair this?

Re: Tips for repairing a loose strap lock

If the screw hole is stripped out, remove the screw, glue a toothpick in the hole and screw the strap lock back on.
    Scott
    Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong.

Comment

I've also had luck by dripping wood glue down into the hole, letting it set over night, and then screwing the strap button back on the next day.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
        If the screw hole is stripped out, remove the screw, glue a toothpick in the hole and screw the strap lock back on.

[/ QUOTE ]

The classic method... many attempted to improve on it, AFAIK none ever succeeded [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
          I've also had luck by dripping wood glue down into the hole, letting it set over night, and then screwing the strap button back on the next day.

[/ QUOTE ]

<font color="aqua">Dave, please don't do this anymore ok? Simply because glue, by itself, is not a good idea for "filling" a gap or anything like that. Use a toothpick or 2, dipped in glue and tap it in there. Trust me, the glue that you screwed into can come out in one big "slug" along with your strap peg screw. </font>
          Dave ->

"would someone answer that damn phone?!?!"

Comment

budman is right, i've seen the whole mess of glue and screw fall right out before on a friends guitar who did that. thank god he caught it real quick before it hit the floor. anyway, as others said, a toothpick in the hole is your best bet.

-Mike
            www.DAvanzoGuitars.com

Comment

Or, you can use a small dowel and redrill the hole after the glue dries.

Note: Regardless of what method you use, make sure to let the glue dry before you screw the screw back in. I have seen screws become "welded" in place from gluing - and yes I am talking regular old Elmer's and wood screws. I have been on the receiving end of these a time or two and yes I have even done it to myself. What happens is since the screws used for strap buttons are usually soft, they will break off if you try to remove them. Then you are left with the mess of trying to extract the screw and...well you can figure out the rest. It's not pretty trust me. It seems to happen more in maple and poplar for some reason. I have worked on a few Model 6's with this problem. Anyway, the toothpick method is a classic, just make sure to let the glue dry -Frank

Comment

How long does the glue need to dry? And How much of the hole is to be filled with the toothpicks? Half the hole? Less than half?

thanks

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                  How long does the glue need to dry? And How much of the hole is to be filled with the toothpicks? Half the hole? Less than half?

thanks

[/ QUOTE ]

<font color="aqua">Personally I like to tap toothpics that have glue brushed on them (elmers wood glue or Titebond yellow is fine) in with a small hammer, until I can't get any in there anymore. Depending on how big the screw that was in there, it can take up to 3 toothpicks depending on the size of the toothpick. The glue should be allowed to dry overnight. </font>
                  Dave ->

"would someone answer that damn phone?!?!"

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                    Or, you can use a small dowel and redrill the hole after the glue dries.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is what I do...dowel it and let the glue dry overnight, then drill a small pilot hole and screw the damn thing in!
                    "Your work is ingenius…it’s quality work….and there are simply too many notes…that’s all, just cut a few, and it’ll be perfect."

Comment

i wouldnt even go as far as glue, just snap a few toothpicks off inside of the hole and that should be enough for the screw to grip onto, worked on my ps4l and hasnt come loose since

Edit: Woo over 200 posts [img]/images/graemlins/popcorn.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                      X