NUTS!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NUTS!

Ok, shortly after I got my LP Standard in 94 I swapped the original nut (phoney bone) with a Graphtec or Graphlon or whatever nut because the old one was sticky. However, I'm not really 100% ultra-creamy satisfied with the tone, and thought about replacing the nut again.
    I'm getting Sperzels for it (thanks SV [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]) and that along with some NutSauce should take care of any and all tuning stability issues due to the angle of the string coming off the nut.

BUT, would those who have experience in such things go with a roller nut (steel rollers, not brass or graphite), a bone-type nut, a genuine pre-ban-ivory nut, stick with the graphite, or what?
    I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Re: NUTS!

Personally for a non-trem guitar I think graphite, slipstone, or a similar material is the way to go but then I'm not a huge tone-hound either. I'd think the only reason to consider a roller nut would be if you were trying to shore up the tuning stability of a v-trem.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam!

Comment

Yeah, but I do know the material a nut is made of affects the tone just as much as the material the saddles are made of, at least for open strings - fretted tones remain the same no matter what nut you use, but since it's a Les Paul, it'll get used for a lot of Major chords with open strings [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
      I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

> Ivory is the real deal tone-wise,most of the really high quality acoustics use it. The problem is getting a small enough piece of it to make a nut without having one broke off in ya' pricewise. Ivory inlay slabs about 1/8 thick and maybe 2-3 square inches are pretty cheap,several places on the net sell small pieces like this by the pound,getting a full 3/16 x 3/16 x 1 7/8 nut blank will cost quite a bit more than you might be willing to pay unless that particular supplier happens to have scraps that size,then they might even give it to you. I sent a full sized pic of a USA Select headstock to an ivory supplier to see how much a slab large enough to make the inlaid USA logo in one solid piece would cost and was quoted 115.00. A MOP or abalone slab costs about 15.00. If you run into some,and want to know for certain that what you are getting is real ivory,take a small piece of 400 sandpaper and rub it,then smell it. If it smells like burnt hair,you got the real stuff. That TUSQ stuff Graph-Tech makes is pretty good,but they only make it in guitar-relevant sizes,I tried to get some in large inlay slabs for pool cues and was denied. If you want ivory,I'll see if I can find a piece close to ideal size. Tommy D.
        "I'm going to try and work it out so at the end it's a pure guts race......because if it is.....I'm the only one that can win" - Steve Prefontaine

Comment

Here are some folks with a suggestion worthy of the good doctor: a Corian nut. Whaddya think Newc? Feeling lucky? One in malachite might be cool:

or yellow perhaps?

or a nice orange!

or something really boring like cobalt.

Screw the tone, those would be cool! [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/popcorn.gif[/img]
          Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam!

Comment

I like bone, but that's IMO. A bone nut cut properly with a little lube in the slots works just as well as graphite IMO, and doesn't wear out as fast. Also, Delrin nuts work great for trem guitars.

Comment

Ahhh, thanks for that info about corian nuts! My brother has one on his Warmoth bass:

Comment

I like graphite just because you don't have to mess with it after it's installed. Hell, I had a 70s strat that some dingleberry put a BRASS nut on, since that was the thing to do back in the day. Talk about a tinkly open string tone!

Pete

Comment

I have a Corian nut on my Charvel/Strat mutt. I think it sounds great. It has the brightness of a brass but seems a little warmer. Sustain is superb.

I also have Corian countertops, both are highly recommended [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

I have a guitar that is *so* getting a bright orange Corian nut one of these days. [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

Comment

check out Neal Moser site he has a way of treating real bone nuts so that they are slick. ive had good results with graphite ones.

Comment

Working...
                      X