Tilted neck?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tilted neck?

You can see here that the e string is further away from the fingerboard edge than the low E.

but it appears correct at the nut...
    Is that a problem? I doubt it affects the playing but if the neck is not properly in place then I guess it'd affect the tremolo's return to pitch maybe and the tuning? Thanks for any help

Re: Tilted neck?

Very common syndrome on bolt-on guitars. The bass side strings pull the neck out of alignment over time. If you want to fix it, you can loosen the neckbolts a little, correct the neck and tighten the bolts again.

If this is a neck-through though, I'm kinda stumped for an answer. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

It is a bolt on. I just read Dan Erlewine's how to make an electric guitar great and yeah, that's what he advised. He also said that it should be done with the strings in tune and such so that's good, but I'm still wondering whether to take the neck off and check the pocket... But that's just the part of me that wants to dismantle everything.

When I was a kid I loved legos and plane models. It must come from then.

Comment

You can take the neck off and put it back on without much problems, if any at all. But you'd better detune the guitar first. And don't overtighten the bolts when you put it back together. =P

Make sure to have your camera ready to document the neckpocket stamps. =)

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
          You can take the neck off and put it back on without much problems, if any at all. But you'd better detune the guitar first. And don't overtighten the bolts when you put it back together. =P

Make sure to have your camera ready to document the neckpocket stamps. =)

[/ QUOTE ]

It´s a Mod 4, I don´t think the Neckpocket stamps are of any real interest to most, or?

Comment

It's always cool to have pics of the neckpocket markings. =)

Comment

Observations?

Comment

I'd actually say I'd love a guitar like that! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

No more pulling it off the fretboard!
                You took too much, man. Too much. Too much.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                  I'd actually say I'd love a guitar like that! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

No more pulling it off the fretboard!

[/ QUOTE ]

AGREED! Don't mess with a good thing - you have a lot more real estate under that high E where it's needed the most.

I have Dan's book as well, but he was fixing majorly whacked necks where the high E was off the fretboard.

Comment

Fair enough. I won't touch it then I guess. Thanks!

Comment

if you do decide to fix it (very easy), drop some superglue in each of the holes on the heel of the neck; it'll help the screws bite in a little better, and will give you a more solid neck joint. as the wood ages, the screws don't hold as tightly as they once did. the superglue helps that out a little.

sully
                      Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
                      Sully Guitars on Facebook
                      Sully Guitars on Google+
                      Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Thanks for the tip! I don't know if I'll risk that just yet, it's fine for now but one day I think I'll take her apart and clean it all up.

Comment

Working...
                        X