Need help with low fret

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help with low fret

I've got a Dinky with the 18th fret too low on the high e and b string. I look at it from the side, and I can see that the string barely misses it when I fret, touching the next fret up instead.

Is there a way to raise it up a little? I really don't want to have a bunch of frets recrowned to take care of one fret on a $400 guitar, but damn if I don't keep hitting that fret when I try to take a solo. [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

Re: Need help with low fret

LOL! Nope. Grind and polish time.

Comment

That's what I was afraid of... [img]/images/graemlins/eyes.gif[/img]

Comment

just replace that one fret and file it down to specs

Comment

sure, you can raise it up, but you'll still probably need to level it later. you can take some single edge razor blades, and use them to get between the top of the fretboard, and the bottom of the fret. once you've got them in there nice and tight, pull up a little. superglue it into place, scrape the excess, and level it out if you need to. it's not an exact science by any means, but sure, you can dooo eeeeeet!

sully
          Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
          Sully Guitars on Facebook
          Sully Guitars on Google+
          Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Thanks, Sully, I'll try that before I replace it. Like I said, it's only an import Dinky, so I'm not afraid to experiment.

Man, I never thought I'd need that fret that much! I just seem to keep landing on it for a bend, and it's a half step sharp. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
            X