Need help with JE-1000 Active Electronics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help with JE-1000 Active Electronics

I have a 1989 Jackson Soloist with J80C bridge pickup and JE1000 active electronics. The guitar has more of a tinty treble bite than I'd like to hear. I've messed around with the 3 little switches in various positions and can't seem to beef it up. Does anyone have any suggestions on what I can do without replacing all the electronics? Has anyone ever experienced the same problem?

Thanks, Dave

Re: Need help with JE-1000 Active Electronics

The switches seem to be more of a mid-shaper. The tone you are hearing is the sound of a J-80 getting old.

Just get a different p/u.
    750xl, 88LE, AT1, Roswell Pro, SG-X, 4 others...
    Stilletto Duece 1/2 Stack, MkIII Mini-Stack, J-Station, 12 spaces of misc rack stuff, Sonar 4, Event 20/20, misc outboard stuff...

Why do I still want MORE?

Comment

Thanks nor! Do you have any advice on a pickup that would go well with those electronics? I was looking at either a Dimarzio Tone Zone or a Duncan JB.

Thanks again, Dave

Comment

well, I think the standart hum designed for the JE1000 should be the J50BC. very balanced and loves to work with the JE1000.
        tremstick give-away (performer series trem)

Comment

the J-90 and J-90c are my personal faves with the pres, or of course a Dimebucker, Dstortion or Custom [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Comment

Tone Zone kills with the J-1000.
            Stilletto Duece 1/2 Stack, MkIII Mini-Stack, J-Station, 12 spaces of misc rack stuff, Sonar 4, Event 20/20, misc outboard stuff...

Comment

I'd like to hear more about age effecting pickups...

Zup wit dat? Just "certain" pickups?

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                I'd like to hear more about age effecting pickups...

Zup wit dat? Just "certain" pickups?

[/ QUOTE ]

Nah....
                Not picking on any p/u's in paticular. Some just get more beer spilled in 'em.
                [img]/images/graemlins/poke.gif[/img]

Comment

I have a 1992 RR1 with a J80 neck and J90C bridge. Very nice and fat. I like it so much, I need to find some other guitar to put my EMG into.

Comment

zerberus hit the nail on the head pickup wise....

I'll add that if youre gonna put another jackson pickup in your guitar... find a real usa dimas made one they are out there...hopefully you dont have the large cover and mounting ring...
                    . the later jackson pickups are jap made and sound nothing like the originals.

the J80 was made for a lighter body and can be really awful in a heavier or hardwood body.... I love the J80 though in the right application...

my '86 firebird [way heavy] originally came with a J80...at some point someone put a d.d. in it and the guitar sounded KILLER !
                    but..... I wanted it back to original so I popped a J80 in it and it sounded like major shit.
                    pulled that one back out and now it has a period correct J90 in it for esthetics, which is very close tone wise to the d.d, ... I am happier anyway...

just put a duncan distortion in it and be done... you'll get plenty of highs and the 1000 will give you some flexibility mid wise with the micro switches.
                    plus when rolling off the volume she will clean up better than a dimarzio....

Comment

thanks peedenmarkk7! i have a J80C in a 1988 Dinky with the Burlesque (the chick panty quitar) graphic. That guitar has the JE1200 electronics and it kicks ass! But the Soloist I have sounds like a tint monster unless I do some major EQ adjustment. Then my other guitars sounds like masters of the MUD. Do you have any experience with a Dimarzio Tone Zone mixed with the JE1000?

Thanks, Dave

Comment

The JE-1000 also has a volume pot try turning that up. Is the battery new and the switches a low,mid & high. Like someone else said it the j50 that goes with JE-1000.

Comment

Thanks for the response jtr654. I do have the volume up about 3/4. The battery is new and I have the number 3 position on. I do have a J50BC that I pulled out of a 1990 Jackson Professional I could try in it. The only reservation I have about doing that is that I thought that pickup sounded like shit in that Jackson long ago. That Jackson had the JE-1500 electronics. That was the one where you could adjust one of the knobs and it gave you a wah wah type shift in sound.

Thanks again, Dave

Comment

well i really like the tone of the j50bc and je-1000 in my rrv, but it's up to what you like to hear

Comment

Well I've got to try something cobhc. It sounds like a tint monster now. How do you have 3 little switches set and the volume sweep on the circuit board?

I'll give it a try and let you guys know. Thanks for all the help. And if anyone has any other suggestions or recommendations, I'd love to hear them.

Thanks, Dave

Comment

Working...
                              X