Help fixing a sunken trem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help fixing a sunken trem

I am working on raising a floyd trem that has sunken completely into the trem cavity. Right now the 6th string frets out when it is open, however I can produce sound when I depress any of the frets. The other strings are fine in terms of no buzzing. The neck seems to be pretty straight, however the trem is completely depressed. Here is a bad picture of how the springs are setup in the back.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...3/Image004.jpg
    I am thinking I may need to re-configure the strings and add some tension to make the trem level out... Can anyone help me out?

Thanks,

GMS
    Light intervened, annihliating darkness.
    The path of salvation made clear for the prodigal human race

Re: Help fixing a sunken trem

i can't really visualize what you're describing, and i can't see much in that pic at all.
    Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
    Sully Guitars on Facebook
    Sully Guitars on Google+
    Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Raise the trem posts. Or is it a v-trem?
      I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

I don't know if I understand fully either.
        It sounds like the rear of the floyd is on the body of the guitar. If that's the case, I'd start by loosening the 2 screws in the trem claw.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
          i can't see much in that pic at all.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ya the pic is really bad. Basically, there are two springs and they are on the left and right sides going straight up and down... I dont know if this helps describe it more.

Basically, I am just trying to get the guitar back into playing mode. The only real problem I have is the 6th string buzz that stops the string from making any noise at all. It will be tuned to Drop C when it is done.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
            [ QUOTE ]
            i can't see much in that pic at all.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ya the pic is really bad. Basically, there are two springs and they are on the left and right sides going straight up and down... I dont know if this helps describe it more.

Basically, I am just trying to get the guitar back into playing mode. The only real problem I have is the 6th string buzz that stops the string from making any noise at all. It will be tuned to Drop C when it is done.

[/ QUOTE ]

If its a Floyd or some other locking trem, you need to drop the guitar to C first. Then set it up. If you are using the same gauge strings you will need to loosen the claw. If you are increasing the gauge you might not have to adjust it much. That pic sucks bro. I can't figure out or see what the problem is based on that pic.

Comment

Just to make it clear, that pic is supposed to describe the setup of the springs in the back. I could not remember what that cavity of the guitar is called, nor could I figure out how to describe the setup of the springs. Looks like I have to go sit in the penalty box and feel much shame...

Comment

What string gauge are you using?

And do you want a Floyd that's functional or do you want it blocked(downmovement only) or completely blocked(i.e no up or down movement)?

With the guitar in playing position, is the ass end(the end with the fine tuners and string locking screws) of the Floyd pointing towards your stomach, or opposite of your stomach?

Comment

Normally you'd have three springs in the back - that's how I've seen most Floyded guitars configured.
                  It's really odd if the trem is sunken into the trem route in spite of just having two springs though? [img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]
                  Are you tuning to C using .009 strings? [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

Thor- The trem is sunken towards me when in playing position. I am looking to get the trem to be fully functional.

Sun- I am not sure what gauge strings are on the guitar. I bought it from my brother for 20 bucks because it has a comfortable neck (and it was only 20 bucks). It has been sitting around for a few months and I am finally going to be using it. It needs to be restrung anyways so I will try putting on some 11's.

Comment

11's should work well in drop C. If you got this problem right after you tuned a guitar down from E to drop C, the odds are good that it has a lighter string gauge(9 or 10) and when you put the 11's on it may well level out a bit.

Once you get the strings on that you want, tune it to where you want it. God only knows where the trem will float, but loosen or tighten the two screws holding the springs until the trem is HALFWAY level, then retune and see how close you are. Keep doing that until the trem floats level. It might take you awhile if you've never done it before, but you're not going to hurt anything and it's a good experience. Just remember that when it comes to string tension, the whole thing is a balancing act. From the truss rod to the bridge adjustments, the keep thing to a great playing guitar is balance...

Good luck!! And get a better camera

Comment

Do what Ace said. I would also recommend adding an extra spring, as that would make the trem more stable.

Ace, if he screws the spring-claw screws too far in, that could cause the screw holes to widen, and if he decides to add an extra spring sometime in the future, he will have to loosen the spring-claw screws, and then they won't sit firmly in the wood, causing the trem to go out of tune.

Although that's only valid if the screws are the kind that get's fatter the closer to it's head you go.

argh
                        That probably didn't make much sense, so don't hesitate to ask.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                          Ace, if he screws the spring-claw screws too far in, that could cause the screw holes to widen, and if he decides to add an extra spring sometime in the future, he will have to loosen the spring-claw screws, and then they won't sit firmly in the wood, causing the trem to go out of tune.
                          Although that's only valid if the screws are the kind that gets fatter the closer to its head you go.

[/ QUOTE ]
                          [img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img] Whachoo talkin' bout, Willis?
                          I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                            [ QUOTE ]
                            Although that's only valid if the screws are the kind that gets fatter the closer to its head you go.

[/ QUOTE ]
                            [img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img] Whachoo talkin' bout, Willis?

[/ QUOTE ]
                            I was actually having one of those "I know noone is going to get anything I'm writing, and I'm most likely not making any sense whatsoever, but I'll write it anyway"-moments.

argh

Comment

So just ignore that part [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                              X