Re-adjusting a fixed bridge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re-adjusting a fixed bridge

I have a JS-30 RR and I changed a bit the string gauges over the past few weeks now the 2 high strings are a bit tight and the G string doesn't sound good when I bend it.

Is it possible to fix this by myself or do I have to bring it to a tech so that he fixes it ? I thought I'd only need a screwdriver and check the intonation, but if it's more than just playing with the screws at the bridge I'll just bring it to a tech

Re: Re-adjusting a fixed bridge

Tech Q&A section, please.

Comment

sorry, didn't notice there was this section ... will someone move it or should I repost ?

Comment

Boom! Done! S'like magic...

Anyhoo, much more info needed: What were the old gauges, what are the new gauges, give more detail on "tight" and "doesn't sound good"...trem guitar or hardtail?

Comment

hehe, the original were 9-42 I believe ... I went through a Zakk Wylde gauge 10/62 I believe and now I have a 10-46 which will be from now on the gauge I'll use

for the g-string, it sounds like the string hits the frets when it rings

and for the high-e and b strings, well it's harder bending them ... I went from a 10-46 to the same 10-46 and in all of a sudden they were a bit harder to bend

Comment

Wow. I watched "Kill Bill" I tonight...wierd...

Anyhoo, you've been all over the map with gauges. That means to me your neck really needs an adjustment.
            I really sugggest you take it in for a full set-up, now that you've settled on a gauge set. That will give you a good base to go from. There are way too many varibles to give you a tip for fixing it without seeing it.

As far as the bending issue, different string brands and materials feel different, even though they are the same gauge. Some companies measure differently than others, and manufacturing tolerances have a bearing here as well. So maybe you're not done yet with the string search.

Comment

hehe, Kill Bill is my fav movie all-time. I have a Kill Bill avatar on other forums I go so I thought why not make it another Kill Bill avatar

yeah I think that would be a good idea to have it checked, and I kinda beat it a lot, especially since January where I started playing at least 8 hours a day

Comment

I rather enjoyed the old one, but...your avatar, I guess!

Comment

DO NOT get your guitar set up professionally until you pick a string gauge. You will be wasting your money(trust me, I do set-ups for a living). Why did you choose the 10-46 gauge? What didn't you like about the 9-42 strings? I would bet that if your guitar still has a factory set up that the 9-42 would work best. If your switching string gauges because someone is telling you to, or because Zakk Wylde uses a certain gauge, just remember that it's YOU playing that guitar, not your friend, and not Zakk Wylde. If you feel that you can't bend the 10's as well as you could the 9's, go back to them. Or develop finger strength.

Comment

I liked the old avatar too ... now I don't know which one to keep

the only reason I prefered 10s over 9s was that the sound with a 9 was thin and with a 10 I thouht it felt and sounded better ... maybe if my guitar was properly setup it would have sounded right ... I don't know ... why are you asking this ?

edit: the 10s felt great for bends then I went from a 10,46 markey to another 10,46 markley. Same gauge, same brand same all and it didn't feel the same

Comment

I am asking so that maybe I can help you find the string gauge that is right for you. The output will be greater for the 10's since there is more mass creating a greater disturbance in the magnetic field of the pickups, in turn creating more signal going to your amp. However, you can compenstate for that by raising the pickups(if there not too close to the strings) or by using any number of singal boosting effects/EQ's and whatnot. I think it's more important to find strings that feel good than sound good.

And as for the Markley's feeling different, did you swap an old set of strings for a new set? That would make them certainly feel different. Also whether or not the strings have been streched will affect the way they feel. As for Dean Markley strings, on the BRMC tour I was changing two sets of Dean Markley strings every night, and I didn't really notice too much of a difference.

Comment

I use 2 emg 81s also ... when I had a set with 9s the sound would vanish in very few seconds, while with the 10s the sound has a bit more sustain

edit: I bought some D'Addarios as my next set, the EXL 110 just to see if I'd feel a difference in the bending. I was told from 1 company to another even uf you use the same gauge that could kinda screw up your guitar, if it does well my guitar is really screwed up but it doesn't sound all that bad to my ears even if I can tell it needs some adjustments

Comment

I think the D'Addarios are probably the most consistant.
                          Been using them for years.

Comment

I tried a bunch of them to see if one would last longer than the others for the g,b,e strings and they are all the same ... I haven't used Elixir strings I heard they are suppose to last longer but cost 25 bucks so I'm better off with some 5 bucks d'addarios and change them every 2 weeks ...

and I tend to sweat a bit more than people I know when I play guitar so the strings rust a bit faster than they should I guess

Comment

and I down-tuned to half step down, so would the 9-42 gauge be too small ? we either play standard or 1/2 step down, so I thought the 10-46 was a good compromise but if you say that a 9-42 could do the job I'll give it a try again and then I'll get my guitar fixed

Comment

Working...
                              X