What are string gauges measured in?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What are string gauges measured in?

.09, .10s... I think they're 1/100 of an inch but I am not sure at all... Does anyone know?
    Also, picks (.60, .70)...That's millimeters right?

Re: What are string gauges measured in?

Strings are in inches by diameter, but a "9" high E string is actually a 0.009 inch, and a "10" is 0.010 inch with a typical low E "46" being 0.046 in. Picks are usually in metric...good thing I learned the metric system back in school, everyone uses it nowadays! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
    "Your work is ingenius…it’s quality work….and there are simply too many notes…that’s all, just cut a few, and it’ll be perfect."

Comment

hehe yeah, to me it's the contrary, I know the metric well but all guitar measurememnt I hear are still in the imperial (I think it's called like this) system. I just got an accurate ruler for guitar measurements and it's obviously all in millimeters...
      So a '.10' string or relief measurement then is 0.25 millimeters... Man how the heck do we measure that haha!
      There seems to be something wrong... I sometimes heard 3/32 as a basic relief measurement, that's 2.4 millimeters, i.e .10 of an inch (not too accurate). But I also heard people telling me about the .10 string, which is 0.24mm, i.a hundreth of an inch... What is proper?

Comment

You want a teeny weeny amount of relief in the neck. I usually keep mine straight. As a arrow.

Comment

Yeah but measurement wise I heard so many different things it's weird. Mine's a little bowed now and using one set of values it's fine and using the other it's not (but I mean who would ever have a relied of less than 0.2 millimeters... but still I'd rather be sure)

Comment

Pott,
            the 0.010"(inch) of a 10 gauge string and 0.25mm are equal (as you mention above). Also as you mention, those numbers are offered as correct neck relief amount, but that is measured while you are holding down the string on the 1st fret with your left hand and holding down the string at the 15th fret with your right hand 'pinky' finger, then use your right index finger to push string down over 7th fret. There should be a small amount of clearance between the string and 7th fret when you do this. 0.25mm is about the thickness of a business card (I have a business card from Denmark that measures that exactly), so you can use that for reference. Tom Anderson's web site shows the above procedure, see the "checking neck and adjusting" topic (9th one down) click here!

Also, the 3/32" 'relief' measurement you speak of is not really 'relief', but is a string height above the higher frets, and is used as a bridge height adjustment to help determine 'action' of the guitar. Fender also has a set-up guide, scroll down until you see "action": click here!

There's some good set-up info on those two sites!

Comment

Yep that's what I do. What I was wondering mostly, how do you get to measure accurately such a small distance. The business card helps though, I've used that. I just wasn't sure which of the 3/32nd and the .25mm was correct. Thanks for clearing that up! The action is fine now and so appears to be the neck, but I was curious nonetheless.
              Thanks for the websites!

Comment

You are right, it's hard to actually measure, so I do it more by 'eye' and feel. Like Thoraby says above, you can shoot for dead straight (no relief, string just touching the 7th fret using the method above) and then just back off the truss rod a little so there's a little relief, and you'd be within a few thousands of an inch of relief measurement without trying to actually measure.

Comment

Using this technique, when you mean loosen it a little, does that mean a full quarter of a turn or even less than that?

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                    Using this technique, when you mean loosen it a little, does that mean a full quarter of a turn or even less than that?

[/ QUOTE ]
                    I'd do maybe a 1/8th turn, then make sure you bend the neck firmly with your hands in the direction you adjusted to make sure that the adjustment set.

Comment

that's an excellent and overlooked step, ace, thanks for pointing that out!
                      Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
                      Sully Guitars on Facebook
                      Sully Guitars on Google+
                      Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

So if you loosen it, bow the neck with your hands, and if you tighten it, flatten it?
                        Er... I hope this makes sense!

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                          So if you loosen it, bow the neck with your hands, and if you tighten it, flatten it?
                          Er... I hope this makes sense!

[/ QUOTE ]
                          yup sounds about right man. Good luck and just don't use too much force and you'll be fine

Comment

Working...
                          X