help with a high fret on my soloist

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• help with a high fret on my soloist

My soloist has the the 21 fret is up high and affects the high e and b strings what is the best way to knock it down, should i tap it or get fine sand paper and sand it some, when i pull up on the floyd it cuts the sound off on all the strings i know usa jacksons are better than this, help please.
    This space for rent

Re: help with a high fret on my soloist

Where in oklahoma are you? If you're in the Tulsa area, take that guitar to Guitar House of Tulsa and have Rick or Rob fix it. If you can't tell if you should sand it or tap it down, then you probably shouldn't be doing that work in the first place.

Pete

Comment

If you are around OKC or Shawnee I have a couple of names for you too.
      Shawnee = Music Unlimited
      OKC = Justin Green, but I have to get his #...sorry.

Comment

I live in Shawnee,I am really good friends with the guys at music unlimited, been going there since i was a kid and i don't want them to work on it because i just don't like their setups because the let robert do them and he isn't too good, i know of justin green, can he really set up guitars, i might take it to tulsa if you think they can do a good job.can you give me a phone number for the place in tulsa, but i will call justin, thanks alot for the names guys.
        This space for rent

Comment

Guitar House Of Tulsa
          6924 E Admiral Pl.
          Tulsa, OK.
          (918) 835-6959
          Hail yesterday

Comment

One of the guys at guitar house (Rob)has built acoustic guitars from scratch and worked for awhile at the Jackson facility in Fort Worth doing warranty repairs a long time ago. He also went to the Roberto/Venn school of lutherie and is a really cool guy. Rick is the other repair guy and he knows his stuff too. Either of them would be able to fix that guitar as well or better than anyone.

Pete

Comment

Think about it bro. If you don't know whether or not to file the fret or tap it down do you honestly think you will be able to do better than guys who work on guitars for a living?

Comment

its not that i don't know how to work on a guitar, i built a guitar from a pile of parts i had laying around (Kramer hockeystick neck, BC Rich STIII Body, and original floyd rose and dimarzio pickups-Plays awesome) But i am scared of messing up my jackson because i love it to death and i would rather pay someone who knows what they are doing than learn on my own guitar, thanks for the info on guitar house though i will go there.
                This space for rent

Comment

Does the fret look like it is not seated against the fingerboard? If it is seated nicely, tapping it in may not do much. Probably will have to file the offending fret down to match the others and then crown and polish it so it has a nice round profile.

Comment

it looks to be seated properly, my new guitar teacher (Brian Shawn if you know of him) said to get a good setup and see what happens after that. he is signed with ibanez and i have known him for at least 10 years off and on so i think he knows his stuff but thanks to all for the help. i know where to come to for help
                    This space for rent

Comment

Working...
                    X