How to make a "stinger"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to make a "stinger"

I'm about to strip the back of a painted neck, and I'm thinking of leaving the headstock painted, ending in a triangular patch of paint at the back of the headstock/neck area (which I have recently learned is called a "stinger"), as seen on the Zakk Wylde Les Paul. Anyone have any suggestions on how best to accomplish this? I am thinking of masking the painted area, then sanding the neck, then probably cleaning up the line with an Xacto knife. Does that sound like the best approach, or is there a better way? Thanks! I'd also appreciate a close-up pic of the back of a Gibson or Epiphone Zakk Wylde Les Paul's headstock/neck area, to use for reference, if anyone has one.

P.S. Is anyone aware of a luthier in Wisconsin or Minnesota who does neck shaves? I would like to get a few of my guitars' necks shaved to match my RG520's neck, and while I'm willing to do it myself, I'd rather turn it over to a pro if there was one available.

Re: How to make a \"stinger\"

i'd have to ask my luthier about how he does his on his guitars he builds since i'm not sure myself. but here is a pic of one on a Les Paul...i love them on an LP, they complete the look IMO!!

-Mike
    www.DAvanzoGuitars.com

Comment

Thanks for the pic! Looks great! I think Ted Nugent's Byrdlands have 'em too.

Comment

A lot of vintage Gibsons have this (Gibson called it a "Diamond" back in the 50's) '58 Flying V's and Explorers had this, as well as some higher end hollowbodies. I suppose they did it on Les Pauls too.

Comment

http://www.jcfonline.com/ubbthreads/...&page=0#471315

Check Sully's article regarding removing finish from necks. Scroll down to the section on neckthroughs.
          750xl, 88LE, AT1, Roswell Pro, SG-X, 4 others...
          Stilletto Duece 1/2 Stack, MkIII Mini-Stack, J-Station, 12 spaces of misc rack stuff, Sonar 4, Event 20/20, misc outboard stuff...

Why do I still want MORE?

Comment

you're gonna have a tough time with that, imo, since it's gonna come to an exact point.

those things are done in reverse; mask off the bare wood, then spray your color coat. remove tape, voila; you've got a stinger!

sully
            Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
            Sully Guitars on Facebook
            Sully Guitars on Google+
            Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

<font color="aqua">agreed, this will be tricky. If you'd like to know what I would try, it would be as follows. I would tape off the exact shape you wanted with the tape covering what you want to remain. Use a blue low tack tape and not regular masking tape. Now I have no idea how steady your hand is but but what I would do is follow the edge of the tape with a brand new razor blade, cutting into the paint but only at a little depth at a time. The reason being is because if you try to cut too deep at once, you will crack the paint near the point that you want to remain and then you're screwed. Just keep cutting with numerous "passes over the same cut line and then when you remove the rest of the neck paint, leave about an 1/8th inch next to the line and remove the rest with the razor blade, taking minimal amounts at a time. It'll be a slow process, but you shouldn't crack or chip the paint with this method. No guarantees though... [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] </font>
              Dave ->

"would someone answer that damn phone?!?!"

Comment

Thanks for the advice, everyone. If the stinger idea doesn't work, I can always go to Plan B, which is to strip the headstock, too, but I thought a stinger would look unique.

I'm planning to shave this neck, but I s'pose I'll take this in stages, starting with scuffing the gloss off. I LOVE thin necks, and I have a beautiful SL2H that I rarely play anymore, since the neck seems thick compared to my Jem & RG (I know - blasphemy [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] ). I'd like to shave the SL2H's neck, but it's too nice, so I recently acquired a Charvel Model 5A. Of course, that turned out to be much nicer than I'd expected too. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] Darn guitar sellers - nobody beats up their guitars anymore, to give me courage when I start projects! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

You could try John Brown at Brown's Guitar Factory in MN. He does authorized repairs for just about every brand including Gibson, and also builds customs. You can get his contact info at www.brownsguitarfactory.com - I suggest calling instead of emailing, as he is very slow responding to emails. Not really much of a computer guy in my experience.

He has done all the repairs and mods on my Jacksons and Hamers since around 1998-99.
                  sigpic

Comment

Thanks! I just left both phone and email messages at Brown's Guitar Factory.

I ended up sanding the 5A's neck myself (skipped the "stinger" idea, though), and I do like it better without the gloss finish, but I'll leave any mods on the SL2H to a pro.

Comment

Working...
                    X