Filing Floyd knife edges?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Filing Floyd knife edges?

Lately I've been taking the Floyd out and putting it back in a lot and it severly screwed the knife edges. How do you file them properly? I know it may be a little early for me to do this but eh, we all have to start somewhere. I asked a guitar tech I knew already but he didn't know how to do that. Would a simple flat file work, just a little back fro on each side of the edge for each?

Re: Filing Floyd knife edges?

If using a file is the answer (I personally don't know), I think a rat tail file would work best IMHO.
    My future band shall be known as "One Samich Short Of A Picnic"!

Comment

<font color="aqua">actually the problem with using a file is the the base plates are hardened on a floyd so your file will immediately go "dull" on you. What you'd want to use is what's called a diamond file which are impregnated with diamond "bits" and can cut hardened steel. Get a cylindrical shaped one as a flat one would cause "corner" cuts into the radii that are already there. Look for a set like this or maybe you can find them individually as well:

</font>
      Dave ->

"would someone answer that damn phone?!?!"

Comment

Damn I doubt we have any of these... How much are they usually (you can tell in dollars, that'll be good enough for now)?

Comment

<font color="aqua"> I bet you have them somewhere around you like a woodworking store or something like that. Here's a link to an online place that carries them, have a look:

CLICK ME! </font>
          Dave ->

"would someone answer that damn phone?!?!"

Comment

American place, I live in Europe, I'll see if shops around here carry that, thanks [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
            Would it be a good idea to just get a tremsetter instead haha? It seems like it'd cure all my problems. I've never been bad at tuning the damn thing but well with this I could always use the trem anyway and not bother with the knife edges it seems. The only turn off is that hole to drill *shivers*

Comment

I'm not sure how the edges got messed up. There's one Floyd I've had for almost 20 years or something and never a problem. Anyway, if the filing thing works out for you, I would make point check the intonation afterwards. A small amount of filing may not be enough to cause any problems, but it won't hurt to check because it could change things.

Comment

Working...
              X