humidifier for an old acoustic?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• humidifier for an old acoustic?

do you have to keep an old acoustic guitar humid like you do with a new one? I got a 26 year old acoustic and I was wondering if I should get a humidifier for it.

Re: humidifier for an old acoustic?

you bet, if not moreso. It depends on the materials used and the thickness, etc.. but dry wood cracks period. On a side note..I was driving thru Wisconsin last weekend. I passed a huge stack of cut trees that was going to be used for furniture, laminates etc. The had so much water being sprayed onto that stack I thought I was at the scene of a fire w/o the smoke.

So.. this is highly recommended especially during the winter. Care should be exercised if it has not been maintained as well as the humidity level may need to be of a higher level to balance out drier wood. There should be some info on this online.

I bought an old 70's ovation acoustic during the winter years & years ago. Took it out of the case one day a few weeks after purchase and the top had cracked. That could have been eliminated had I added a humidifier..which I had been at about the same point as where you are now with this...thinking about it.

Comment

I have a 70's ovation acoustic sitting here that made me click on this thread, I better take heed the warning [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

i live in a very humid area (virginia beach) so do you think I would only need it during winter/fall?

Comment

well, some guys have cases that actually have a small humidifier built in and it is a controlled environment. For big buck guitars like an old Martin, yeah that isn't a bad idea. It keeps the case at a certain humidity level all year. If you run like 60-70+% humidity during the summer months on a constant basis, it typically isn't needed unless it is like an emergency case.

During the cooler months of Fall & Winter where the heat comes on, the furnace is blowing hot air robbing your guitar of moisture. When your humidity falls around 40-45% or less it definitely should be used.
          To much humidity isn't good either as the wood can oversaturate and warp. You usually see cases with a silica gel pack? they absorb moisture and keep the potential for mold down. Use a hygrometer to gauge where you are at.

I've used the Kyser Lifegaurd with good results in guitars that have sound holes. I've also used the more common Glaesel style for smaller F-holes and Adamas like builds.

Here again is a good set of guidelines from Fretnot.com

http://fretnotguitarrepair.com/care.htm

Comment

I'm the original owner of a 1995 Martin D-28, and I've ALWAYS kept a soundhole humidifier in the guitar, in the case when not playing. Unlike electrics, acoustics have a lot of unfinished, exposed wood (the entire inside of the soundbox), and I've seen too many screwed up over time. I can't remember who makes mine, but it is a plastic cover with a green tube with holes that hooks to the cover. Works great.

Comment

If you live in a climate where it is really dry, you need a humidifier.

A trick to re-hydrate a old dried out acoustic guitar is to take a wet sponge, and place it at the bottom of a Hefty trash bag, then pull the bag over the body (make sure the body doesn't contact the wet sponge) and tie the bag off around the neck by the heel. Hang the guitar somewhere and after a few days the body will re-hydrate nicely.

Comment

Working...
              X