Heavier string gauges...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Heavier string gauges...

I normally play 12-52 on my guitars tuned to C, but I also have a guitar strung 12-52 that I've been keeping tuned up to E. You know what, I really like it!! The stiff strings are THERE when you dig into them. They have more output, and better attack. I feel like I can play faster on them since they stay in place when you pick them better. I can still do bends no problem(maybe because I play guitars almost every day for hours). I really like the way the heavier strings feel tuned to E!!

Re: Heavier string gauges...

ace i use 11's tuned standard i used 12's for a little while but found myself breaking G & B strings all the time. but ive been a fan of big strings for a long time i think it also helps control feedback & they are alot less noisy.

Comment

Acoustic guitar LIGHT GAUGE is typically 12-53, and I keep my acoustics tuned to standard. Bends are still a real bitch for me but they're getting there. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

Ernie Ball Power Slinky 11-48 is the heaviest I've used so far. I use them on my 24.75" scale ESP/LTD in standard E, on my 25" Carvin in Eb, and in D on my 25.5" Dinky. All other guitars I usually use 10-46 in E or Eb.
        I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

I like the feel of 9's on my Fusion and am thinking about putting 8's on my PC1 to match that feel. That being said, I practice on a korean acoustic that has (I think) 13's on it to develop finger strength. When I go back to the Fusion I can do crazy bends and vibrato with what seems like no effort.

Comment

I use 10-52 for standard E tuning. The string tension is perfect for me.

Comment

12-54 for c here.. soon 12-56 in B

Comment

14-70 for C and B Flat.

Comment

10-60 in D

Comment

Oh yeah, I forgot my 7-string is 10-46 with a 56 for the B string. Works perfect for me. The 56 is the lightest I think I could use for the B, though.
                    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

I usually use 9s tuned to standard on my 25.5 scale guitars & 10s on my Fusions. But I have one guitar with 11s tuned down a half step. I love the heavier strings on it. Play it all the time. I can play anything on it that I can play on my other guitars, but the weight of the string under your fingers just feels gooood.
                      Hail yesterday

Comment

Jeeeeezuuuuuuus, you guys must have big hands! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

I'm a little dude with little hands, and I just can't hang with the heavier stuff for bends and vibrato, but I do love how they don't move out of the way. So, I use a LT/HB set of 9-46 for standard, and 9-50 for drop D. For B, I really like a 60 on the bottom, with a 11 on top.

Comment

I have little hands and I have always used 10's. They just feel right. I tune down to Eb sometimes, generally just tuned to E.

I do like 11's on occassion...as well as 9s. After playing with 10's for a couple of months I can shake the hell pout of a set of 9's during vibrato.

I am on an EVH kick, so I am going out this weekend to get some Fender 150XL's in 9's.

Mike
                          Sleep. The sound doesn't collapse to riffs of early eyes either.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                            I normally play 12-52 on my guitars tuned to C, but I also have a guitar strung 12-52 that I've been keeping tuned up to E. You know what, I really like it!! The stiff strings are THERE when you dig into them. They have more output, and better attack. I feel like I can play faster on them since they stay in place when you pick them better. I can still do bends no problem(maybe because I play guitars almost every day for hours). I really like the way the heavier strings feel tuned to E!!

[/ QUOTE ]

You guys from the West Coast are a crazy bunch. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

So, you can go 12-52 tuned to E and bend no problem?
                            Yea.. right!
                            But then again... what do you consider a bend? If it is a slight pitch change I agree.
                            Bending a 12 E string is something I don't even want to think about. You must have bionic fingers.
                            Ace, you are officially the Steve Austin of shredders. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                              Ace, you are officially the Steve Austin of shredders. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

If you can bend bridge cables one and a half steps, give me a hell yeah.

Comment

Working...
                              X