Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2 1/4" Neck Heel Strathead Replacement Necks??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2 1/4" Neck Heel Strathead Replacement Necks??

<font color="yellow">Dumb question, but I've never ordered a replacement neck from anybody and don't exactly know where to begin or what to look for.

Are there any companies which make a Strathead replacement neck that will retrofit a San Dimas 2 1/4" heel without requiring shims etc. for it to work??

Looking for Strathead, maple neck/ebony board, 22 frets, dots, and 1 5/8" Floyd nut.

OK, if this is available, what are some recommendations??

I've heard good things about Warmouth and Custom Woods....anybody else??
    </font>

Re: 2 1/4\" Neck Heel Strathead Replacement Necks??

I've got a CustomWoods neck. It wasn't a "finished product" like Warmoth, but then it said so in the Ebay listing IIRC.

And Warmoth doesn't yet do 2 1/4" pockets - read the big thread in General that says they're thinking about doing Jackson necks.

As of now, they do not deviate from Fender's neck heel design unless you shell out total custom-shop bucks.
    I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

I measured a PS6T Kelly import body and it was 2 1/8". Are USA DK-1 necks wider than DK-2's? If so, I'm in trouble with a neck I just bought.

Comment

Should fit just fine, but if you're unhappy with the neck anyway, PM me [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
        I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

yeah sam, as newc mentioned, you're kinda out of luck as far as replacement necks go. the best advice i can offer is to get a standard 2 3/16 neck that you like, and use a little bit of 100 grit sandpaper to act as a shim on the sides of the pocket. also drop a bit of super glue in the holes that the neck screws will go into; it'll help the screws bite in a little bit more, and make your neck joint a little more sturdy.

best advice i can offer for ya.

sully
          Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
          Sully Guitars on Facebook
          Sully Guitars on Google+
          Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

IMO, you can't go wrong with Warmoth. The quality is top notch.

I've got a Charvel mutt with a Warmoth Strat neck. There is a little gap on each side of the neck, but it's so small you hardly notice it. The neck is plenty stiff with the four standard Charvel neck screws.

Actually, this little mutt is my favorite player

Comment

<font color="yellow">Cool info...thanks!!

Newc is gonna send me the neck to see if it works out on the Bengal.

Kinda curious to see how it does. </font>

Comment

if wayne is still doing replacement necks those were 2 1/4" heal

Comment

I agree with using the 2-3/16" standard neck heel that all the Fender type necks follow. Basically you will have 1/32" gap on each side. Depending on how the body was finished (how much finish thickness is in the pocket or the edge of the pocket) If you already have a body that had a 2-1/4" neck on it, then what Sully suggested on the sandpaper is added assurance the neck will not move and you will barely see it. I have one guitar that I used some .040" hardwood veneer in the neck pocket. You can't see any gap at all. You have to look very close to see the veneer on the sides of the neck heel.
                  Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

Working...
                  X