Neck Shims

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Neck Shims

I have been thinking about making a neck shim to install an OFR on a Warmoth body. I have never done this before so I have a few concerns. I have been doing some reading on the board and found that the shim should be 4 degrees. I would assume that I will have to fill and re-drill the holes in the neck to compensate for the new angle which would also create a gap between neck and body.

Has anybody done this before? And could you give me some tips?
    Just one more guitar!

Re: Neck Shims

Shimming a neck in 5 easy steps:
    1 -Get a business card.
    2 - Cut about 3/4" wide strip off of said business card and round one edge to conform to the neck pocket.
    3 - Place piece of card under the neck heel at the back of the pocket.
    4 - Attach neck.
    5 - Floyd your ass off.

Repeat 1-5 until you get the angle/action you want.

Pierce the holes into the shim before mounting the neck. If not, turning the first bolt will turn the shim. You can also cut it so it fits between the bolts, but I prefer it to go from end to end.
    I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Or you could do it like I did and dig out the router. I was also going for a sunken pocket / smaller heel for better high fret access.

I think I actually free-handed the neck pocket. And you guys thought Newc was dangerous LOL!

Comment

Old credit cards work good for shims too, FWIW.

Comment

I have used a couple of washers. Worked for me [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Any opinions on angled neck pocket vs. shims?

Comment

I'd prefer an angled neck pocket, but I won't be doing one anytime soon [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
            I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

i went to a hobby store and got some thin brass and then just cut it... worked like a charm.

the floyd on my tele was sitting up about 3/8 of an inch. once i shimmed the neck, the floyd is sitting on the body..

Comment

Thanks for the info guys.
                Just one more guitar!

Comment

You can stick all sorts of shit in there. As long as it's a hard material, you're good to go.
                  I once found a very flat joint in the neck pocket of a Jackson!

I don't remember what happened after that...

Comment

A joint in the joint?
                    [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                    750xl, 88LE, AT1, Roswell Pro, SG-X, 4 others...
                    Stilletto Duece 1/2 Stack, MkIII Mini-Stack, J-Station, 12 spaces of misc rack stuff, Sonar 4, Event 20/20, misc outboard stuff...

Why do I still want MORE?

Comment

lol
                      Just one more guitar!

Comment

Mojo!

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                          You can stick all sorts of shit in there. As long as it's a hard material, you're good to go.
                          I once found a very flat joint in the neck pocket of a Jackson!

I don't remember what happened after that...

[/ QUOTE ]

<font color="aqua">soooo that's where it got too! Man, I spent hours looking for that damn thing..... [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] </font>
                          Dave ->

"would someone answer that damn phone?!?!"

Comment

I've been working on one and did the business card thing. Works pretty well.

Comment

Working...
                            X