EMGs and body wood

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EMGs and body wood

I picked up a Fusion HH a week or so ago for next to nothing. cleaned it up, fixed a minor wiring problem and I mean to tell you this is one of the worst sounding guitars I have ever played, Harsh is an understatement for the tone of the stock PUPs, I had put a EMG 85 in a single HB Peavey Patriot (maple neck, maple body) and again I never liked the sound i got from it, So i pulled the 85 out of it and put it in the bridge of the Fusion, disconnecting the neck pup. and man what a great sound, The fusion has a transparent red mahogany body, I can't believe the difference from the maple body. Has anyone else noticed major differences with EMGs and certain body woods? I will probably get another 85 or maybe an 89 to finish this project.
    I say the boy ain't right!

Re: EMGs and body wood

Of course! It is nice to see someone actually didn't fall the "sterile" argument and had the ears to listen. EMGs sound different in different guitar as much if not more then passive pickups. I used EMGs in Mahogany, Alder, Walnut and Maple bodied guitars so far and each sounded different. So far my favorite is Mahogany though.

Comment

GO wtth the 89 a great pickup. The myth that EMG's sound the same in everything is crazy. Add tone mod (EXG,RPC,SPC& PA2)for more options.

Comment

EMGs rock! They are not sterile sounding and do sound different in different guitars. They sound a little more consistent, but wood type does play a factor.
        I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Anyone try these in a light Basswood body? I know it's a Jackson or Charvel body, but not sure what type. One hum, one single.

Comment

I've tried an 81 in the bridge of guitars with poplar, alder, ash, mahogany & chambered mahogany w/maple top bodies and there wasn't a big difference in tone from one to the next. The tones of the body wood always seemed to be overwhelmed by the pup.
            Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam!

Comment

Working...
            X