Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nitrocellulose lacquer?

Hi,
    I just bought a new guitarstand but it warns for guitars with nitrocellulose lacquer (the color of the tubing material might move to the guitar's finish).

Did Jackson ever use this?
    Is there a chance it's on my '94 PCS Dinky with trans black finish?

Thanks

Re: Nitrocellulose lacquer?

nah, i don't think that they ever used nitro. if they did, it probably would've been back in the early charvel days.

i'd say you're safe.
    Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
    Sully Guitars on Facebook
    Sully Guitars on Google+
    Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

okay,
      I'll trust you [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Thanks,
      Bjorn

Comment

There are a lot of Gibsons out there that have Nitrocell lacquer. There are a lot of used Gibbos out there with little "burn" spots where older guitar stands reacted with the finish.

Comment

Not to mention Fender..

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
            There are a lot of Gibsons out there that have Nitrocell lacquer. There are a lot of used Gibbos out there with little "burn" spots where older guitar stands reacted with the finish.

[/ QUOTE ]
            Aren't all Gibsons finished with nitro?
            I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Yes.

Just to be safe, never let that medical tubing stuff touch your guitars. It messed up some that I painted with can paint as well.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
                Aren't all Gibsons finished with nitro?

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think absolutely <u>all</u> Gibsons are finished with nitro. Just off the top of my head..the faded V and SG series...no nitro there. Goth series are matte black somethingorrather... etc. But, there certainly are a LOT of Gibsons that are finished with nitro.

And yes, medical tubing that is on a lot of old guitar stands is NOT good for a nitro finish. I think a lot of modern guitar stand manufacturers have now taken this problem into account, since most of the stands I see for sale these days promise not to hurt any finish.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                  I don't think absolutely <u>all</u> Gibsons are finished with nitro. Just off the top of my head..the faded V and SG series...no nitro there. Goth series are matte black somethingorrather... etc. But, there certainly are a LOT of Gibsons that are finished with nitro.

[/ QUOTE ]
                  Well, I've got a faded/worn cherry "Vintage Mahogany" Studio Les Paul (Musician's Fiend Exclusive), and the matte satin lacquer is nitro.
                  I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

There has to be an example of a Gibbo with no nitro... hee hee...

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                      ..the faded V and SG series...no nitro there.

[/ QUOTE ]

The faded series most certainly ARE nitro........ [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                      X