X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about mounting pickups

Guys,

[img]/images/graemlins/baby.gif[/img]

I just got a SD Hot Rail and SD Cool Rail for my SL-1. Problem: the original SD single-coils are mounted directly to the wood w/wood screws, but the new pickups have a metal threaded sleeve on each end of the pickup, and they came with the appropriate screws for mounting to a pickguard.

What to do?
    "You are so stupid that I am surprised you have not collapsed into a singularity of stupidity." - Anon

Re: Question about mounting pickups

Sell them to me? LOL!

You could drill out the metal sleeve, but be careful not to tear up the plastic. Even if you do, you can crazy glue it.

Comment

You should be able to carefully push the sleeve out of the plastic bobbin.

Comment

Well, I did some "pushing", but the sleeve didn't budge. Is the purpose of drilling it to get the sleeve loose by spinning it, or to simply core it out? FWIW, here's a pic:

"You are so stupid that I am surprised you have not collapsed into a singularity of stupidity." - Anon

Comment

<font color="aqua">exactly, Pete, drill out the brass to clear the wood screw you're using. If the brass insert spins out, that's really no big deal either, bro. </font>
          Dave ->

"would someone answer that damn phone?!?!"

Comment

Ok, problem solved [img]/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif[/img]

I found, after looking for the 3rd time in my spare parts box, 4 black wood screws that fit inside the sleeve inserts perfectly - no drilling required.

Thanks guys!

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
              Ok, problem solved [img]/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif[/img]

I found, after looking for the 3rd time in my spare parts box, 4 black wood screws that fit inside the sleeve inserts perfectly - no drilling required.

Thanks guys!

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] <font color="aqua">Good for you Pete, that's great! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] </font>
              Dave ->

Comment

Done! Some eye candy for 'ya...

Hmmm...funny how the "Jack" in "Jackson" sticks out...

Comment

<font color="aqua">well, Pete, you went and did it......I officially hate you now.......ok, well not REALLY but damn, that is friggin gorgeous, my friend- [img]/images/graemlins/notworthy.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img] </font>
                  Dave ->

Comment

It's been a long time since I've had GAS but I really want that AXE!!!! More pics??????????
                    My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

What camera are you using for those close ups? Looks nice.

Comment

Whoa, when did Duncan start putting the "Seymour Duncan" logo IN BETWEEN the rail blades? That's new to me! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Nice photos too. Thor, the camera has less of an effect on the quality of closeup shots than the ability of the photographer and HOW to use his camera to its fullest potential. I'm currently in the finishing stages of writing a basic guitar-related photography tutorial to distribute to the forum. However, I'd still like to know what camera SweetPete is using also. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                          Whoa, when did Duncan start putting the "Seymour Duncan" logo IN BETWEEN the rail blades? That's new to me! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

<font color="aqua">I believe they can do that now since they went to a solid cover on these rather than when they used to use "mini" coils which would not let them print it in that position.

Oh! And good to see you Mark! - [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img] </font>
                          Dave ->

Comment

Guys,

The camera is a 4 year old Canon S20 3.2 megapixel unit.

Number, can't wait to see your writeup on photographing guitars. Frankly, I think my pics in this thread are pretty good, but not great. I've seen some GREAT guitar pics, for example on ebay, but I just can't seem to dupe the quality. I have a feeling it's the lighting.

The new pups sound great! I kept the stock pots, which are a 500k volume and 250k tone. I wonder if changing the tone to a 500k will "open up" the overall sound (?). These are SD's new style Cool and Hot rails - the coils are completely encased in a new, sealed cover. Me likey...
                            More pics:

Comment

Does that camera have a macro setting or an adjustable focal length?

Comment

Working...
                              X