Soloist - Fixed vs Floating trem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Soloist - Fixed vs Floating trem

What difference in tone and sustain, if any, will there be between a Soloist with the string-thru body bridge and no locking nut compared to a Soloist with a Floyd?

Re: Soloist - Fixed vs Floating trem

probably tons. mr. floyd rose will rob you of precious tone

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
      probably tons. mr. floyd rose will rob you of precious tone

[/ QUOTE ]

He'll never find it. I hide my tone next to my pot!

You can get back some of the sustain by setting up your Floyd for dive only but yeah, in general, a fixed bridge will have better sustain.

As a side note, Performance (and maybe others, I dunno) has a big block mod for Floyds that's supposed to improve sustain and tone.

http://www002.upp.so-net.ne.jp/lieju...nce-e.html#4.4

Comment

[img]/images/graemlins/sleep.gif[/img] If you're playing with a lot of gain on your amp, do you think you're really going to lose any sustain? I doubt you'd hear much, if any, difference in sustain between a Floyd and fixed bridge anyhow. And just how long would you need to hold a note anyway? [img]/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif[/img]
        I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

And if you have active pickups...

My 1992 RR1 with a J80/J90C combo and Jackson active stuff sustains longer than my Historic LP with BB1&2. My LP Classic with a 496R/500T combo can give the RR1 a run for the money...

Comment

its not just about sustain to me. hell its not about sustain at all, its just about the strong feel that you get when bending and wailing away at the strings on a non-trem guitar. the overall tone is stronger, and feels better.

I love my floyds. I have 3 guitars with floyd rose trems, but theres something about the stability of a non-trem guitar that just cant be matched when you have a floating bridge.

Comment

My Ibanez 3120 Prestige has more sustain then my old '84 Les Paul did or will. I think it all depends on how well the guitar is setup.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                ...My 1992 RR1 ....

[/ QUOTE ]

This guitar does not exist, you probably mean a ´92 Rhoads USA... the RR-1 model name wasn´t used until ´96, and an RR-1 has different specs (OFR vs. Schaller, Duncan pups vs. Jackson pups, slightly different neck profile...) [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                X