fine tuner on Kahler fixed bridge is foobar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• fine tuner on Kahler fixed bridge is foobar

As you can see with the B string, the string tension levers the fine tuner screw against a base plate allowing you to adjust the tension accordingly by screwing in/out the fine tuner.

This is busted on the D string. I am pulling on the string, yet the fine tuner mechanism flops around freely.

The other thing is that I can back this screw out all the way, whereas I cannot with the other fine tuners.

I've never had this kind of bridge before, so short of pulling it apart, I'm kind of at a loss as how to fix this. I see nothing "obviously" broken. Any advice or some pointers to some Kahler repair sites would be greatly appreciated.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKgPY1adc0A

Re: fine tuner on Kahler fixed bridge is foobar

<font color="aqua">I believe what happened there is the loop that is connected to the forked shape piece that holds the string, has snapped. Unfortunately I don't have one, George, but you might be able to get it from Kahler, here:

web page

If you can't do this yourself, I would be happy to do this for you, especially after the crap you had to put up with, the night my computer died.... [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] </font>
    Dave ->

"would someone answer that damn phone?!?!"

Comment

Yeah...the dreaded tab snap on the 3310. The only fix is a replacement. If you take it apart, you'll see what Budman is referring too.

But here's the best part for you...I would swap you a good one for your bad one. I have that bridge, with 2 or 3 broken tabs on it already. So I just removed all the fine tuning mechanisms, and string it up and tune from the headstock. Send me a PM, and we can hammer it out.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]

But here's the best part for you...I would swap you a good one for your bad one. I have that bridge, with 2 or 3 broken tabs on it already. So I just removed all the fine tuning mechanisms, and string it up and tune from the headstock. Send me a PM, and we can hammer it out.

[/ QUOTE ]

<font color="aqua">your generosity never ceases to amaze me bro...... [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img] </font>
        Dave ->

"would someone answer that damn phone?!?!"

Comment

<font color="yellow">Very cool Tom [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

But, in all fairness, it's rumored that Surfdork bought a warehouse of 3310's to unleash on the unsuspecting Kahler's of the world in a attempt to take over Kahlerland [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Seriously, great gesture [img]/images/graemlins/notworthy.gif[/img] </font>

Comment

After the useful info in this thread, i grabbed a flashlight and was able to see the tab on the fine tuner part and the broken loop on the string claw part. I could see where it snapped off.

I will gladly send you a PM surfdork. Thanks!!! [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Comment

Rock!

Comment

Since we're talking about those fixed kahler bridges, does anybody know where I could buy one in black ?

Comment

Nevermind, didn't realize they didn't carry black...

Comment

You were probably thinking about the kahlerusa.com website I guess [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]...

Comment

Trem bridges are quite easy to find on ebay, but I can't say the same about 3300 and 3310... I wonder why? I guess we should just try to convince John to add more options for 3300 and add 3310 to the production line again. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

Obey the 3310. [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

Comment

Yup yup, steel rollers are what I use on the trems too. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                            Obey the 3310. [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think a hard tail bridge with fine tuners is an awesome idea. It's great making fine tuning adjustments with...surprise...FINE TUNERS!!! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Also gives you the option of adding a locking the nut for unparalleled tuning stability if you're doing David Gilmour like bends.

Comment

Erm, I have a question and I didn't know whether to create a new thread or not, so I'll just go on in here...
                              I was planning on replacing the bridge on my Kevin Bond Rhoads with a fixed Kahler but now that I think about it, it seems it might not be high enough due to the neck angle... anybody knows for sure ?

Comment

Working...
                              X