Neck Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Neck Question

I am starting to wonder if this is all in my head but I have noticed that when I play a 21 or 22 fret guitar I get better vibrato than when playing a 24 fretter.

The vibratos are wider and easier to bend - it seems anyway.

I have had several guitars over the years and am making this comparison with all other things being equal like the bridge and so forth.

I measured length of the bridge to the nut on the 22 and 24 fretters and they are the same. So I figure the string tension must be the same.

I don't get it. Is this strictly my perception?
    PLAY TILL U DIE !!!

Re: Neck Question

Yep.
    The scale length of a guitar is the distance between the bridge and the nut. If all your guitars are 25.5", then it matters not one iota if you have 24 frets or six frets, the string tension will be the same.

Comment

However, I have also found the same phenomenon. I think, for me, it all depends on nut width and action height. My Predator, which is a 22 fretter with a medium low action and at least a 1 11/16 nut width is much easier to articulate a wide vibrato on than my DK2, which seems like it may have a 1 5/8 inch nut width and has a quite low action. I need to meaure though...the Predator may actually be 1 3/4 and the DK2 1 11/16. Either way, I find the Predator easier to play with an aggressive Vibrato.

Also, it always seems to me that 24 fret necks are longer...even though they aren't. Feels like I am playing a sword. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Mike
      Sleep. The sound doesn't collapse to riffs of early eyes either.

Comment

It's probably not the number of frets, but the type of springs. If you use weaker springs it could feel like that.

Comment

Well my guitars are all set up with Floyd Rose so everything is the same on my current axes.

My Charvel seems to get better vibrato than the PC1 or Warrior - all three have OFR.

Must just be my perception.
          PLAY TILL U DIE !!!

Comment

I've noticed it too. My Les Paul gets better vibrato going than my Jackson. I don't know why. On the other hand, it's easier to get fast picking goin on the Jackson, I think the strings are just tighter, but I don't know why.

Comment

Shredmonster, you could still just interchange two sets of springs and see what happens [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Jammermatt1, a Les Paul is a short scale guitar. The shorter the scale, the lower the tension of the strings.

Comment

Yeah, short scale will do that. I have a half size strat that I can bend like a sixth or so. I plan to put heavier strings on, but I have tuners to put on too so I'm less motivated. BTW thanks to ManyAxes for the tuners!

Comment

22 and 24 fret necks play the same. You are crazy. See a doctor.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                    Shredmonster, you could still just interchange two sets of springs and see what happens [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Jammermatt1, a Les Paul is a short scale guitar. The shorter the scale, the lower the tension of the strings.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah Bus thats what I decided to do last night although I have not done it yet. I am thinking that might be the answer because I can't think of anything else given all other things being equal.
                    PLAY TILL U DIE !!!

Comment

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think I agree with you. I think it is a physics thing relative to string length and tension versus frequency - where a shorter string might require less tension to maintain the same frequency as a long one. Consider a string a foot long and one a mile long, and how tight the mile long one would have to be to be on frequency... just a thought. Might have to look that up in the ol' Physics book when I get a chance.

Comment

I've always found 22 fretters to feel stiffer than 24 of the same scale and bridge.
                        Maybe it's a slight difference in spring tension? Theoretically two OFR setups with the same number of springs and tuned to the same pitch but 22 vs 24 frets should be 100% equal, but could the springs themselves be the culprit? Older/more frequently used springs would naturally have more flex than newer/less frequently used springs, and feel different enough to affect vibrato (hand-induced, not just whammy-induced).

Then there's fret sizes and how much meat is actually left on them (older jumbos that have been dressed/polished down a bit vs newer ones, etc), as well as how much "drag" the frets or fretboard have.
                        I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Working...
                        X