Pickups, pickups, pickups...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pickups, pickups, pickups...

I'm planning on making some pickup changes in a guitar and had some questions.

I'm planning on using maybe a Duncan Distortion or JB for the neck and an EMG 81 in the bridge. Would that work out without any major problems?
    If so, I would be able to wire it for one master tone pot and one master volume pot, right?

I'm still kind of iffy on throwing a Duncan in the neck... I don't know. Any other suggestions for a kickass metal neck pickup? [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Re: Pickups, pickups, pickups...

dude, you don't want a metal/high output pickup in the neck position. put a duncan jazz or a 59 in there, it'll sound just fine. although if you're putting an 81 un the bridge, you may as well put an 85 in the neck.
    Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
    Sully Guitars on Facebook
    Sully Guitars on Google+
    Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Thanks Sully. In that case, I may go with the 59. I checked out the audio samples on EMG's site, and just like the sound of the 85 in the bridge a little better.

Comment

The 85 in the bridge rules with either a 60 or 81 in the neck. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
        You're better off getting either both active or both passive, as you'd need 25k pots for the EMG and 250k or 500k for the passive, and you'd need a booster like the EMG PA2 to keep the output of the passives up to match the output of the EMGs.
        I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

But, should you decide to go passive, the JB/Jazz or Distortion/Jazz combos are tough to beat in a Jackson. The JB in my opinion has a nicer tone, but the Distortion has more bottom end and better articulation. They're basically the same pup with different magnets. Don't let the Jazz name fool you, that sucker rocks in the neck position. Think "fluid lead tone".

I have no experience with actives, so I'll keep my mouth shut on that one.

Comment

^^^^^
            I have to agree with you there, "Don't let the Jazz name fool you" I just put a Distortion/ Jazz combo in my RX10D and they SMOKE!! There a great pair together....... [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]
            "When a naked man is chasing a woman through an ally with a butcher's knife and a hard-on, I figure he isn't out collecting for the Red Cross"............ Dirty Harry

Comment

I had that combo in my Dinky and it rocked there. They now currently reside in my Les Paul where they also rock.

Comment

I'll be the first one here to say that the Distortion in the neck is an amazing pickup. It surprises most people who hear it there. It's one of my all time favorite neck pickups for shred metal leads, the other being the Hot Rails (which is hotter than the Distortion). As far as going one active and one passive, it's just my personal opinion, but I would stick with eiter both passives or both actives. But it's your call.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                  I'll be the first one here to say that the Distortion in the neck is an amazing pickup.

[/ QUOTE ]

That makes pretty good sense,really. I think it is quite an articulate pickup and doesn't mush out under high gain.

Comment

Working...
                  X