Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• help! preserving autographs on finished guitar

Hey guys,
    My wife just purchased me a guitar autographed by all the members of Dream Theater for my birthday. I know what you're thinking, " there's acutally a woman out there that will purchase a guitar for her husband?" ! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] Yes, there are a few like that and I'm the proud owner of one! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] Anyway, I'm wondering what some of the best ways are to preserve those autographs so I can play the guitar as well. They appear to be signed with a black sharpie on top of an OLP EBMM Axis guitar. John Petrucci's is right where my forearm will be resting on the guitar while playing and I definately don't want that one to come off! The guitar should hopefully be here this week so I'll know more then and can post pics but I wanted to get your guys input ASAP.

Thanks!

Re: help! preserving autographs on finished guitar

Don't play it is 1 option. The other thing you could do is bring it to a pro and have them clear over the signatures.
    It sounds like it would be worth having it cleared over because it was so cool of your wife to buy it for you.

Comment

But then, it's an OLP, so you might not want to play it [img]/images/graemlins/poke.gif[/img]

Just kidding [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Clearcoating may actually dissolve the Sharpie, so if anyone's gonna clearcoat it, have them test a small Sharpie'd area on the back before tackling the front.
      I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

I like the way you refer to being married with your wife as owning her. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
          I like the way you refer to being married with your wife as owning her. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]
          I had better re-phrase that! HA HA! I lucked up on one like that. If she heard me say "own" then I dare say I'd never get another guitar! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

I was thinking the same thing with the clear coat reacting somehow with the sharpie. Does anyone have any other ideas? Do you all think that a clear pickguard over the whole top would be cheesey?

Comment

You may be able to get away with some sort of clear sticker to cover the sigs.

Mike
            Sleep. The sound doesn't collapse to riffs of early eyes either.

Comment

I have seen something called guitar bra's on Evilbay. Clear stickers to protect your guitars finish (pick scratches, etc.) They might be helpful.

Comment

Put it on the wall.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, besides everyone knows it's the other way around. At least at my house, anyway. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

Thanks for the info dudes! If anyone else has any ideas then be sure to let me know!

I'm not going to live this "owning" thing down am I? Note to all members, be sure to read your posts really, really well before clicking "submit"! HA HA! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                      Put it on the wall.

[/ QUOTE ]
                      +1 I wouldn't mess with it, [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img] just hang it and look at it
                      I say the boy ain't right!

Comment

I'm sure your wife will understand totally if it's on the wall. Just explain that you are putting it on the wall to display because you cherish it and are proud of it, and that you have other guitars that you can play, but you don't want this one in harm's way.

Comment

Preserve it with some windex and a good polishing cloth... or perhaps some buffing compound if that doesn't work. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
                          The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                            Put it on the wall.

[/ QUOTE ]

+2

Comment

I think that I'll pass on the windex and buffing compound.... I checked out the guitar bras and I don't think they're the way to go as they seem like they might actually pull the signatures off after time. Looks like I'll be hanging it on the wall and I think that I've found the perfect thing to do it in. Check this out!

http://www.rondomusic.net/ecs420.html

Thanks for all the help guys

Comment

Working...
                              X