Bondo to fix dings in a guitar?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bondo to fix dings in a guitar?

If any of you have been following Guitar World's monthly feature on painting your own guitar then you know that this month's issue covers fixing dents in the body after you have sanded off the paint.

The guy said that Bondo should be used (if you are going to repaint in a solid color) but I was always under the impression that it was a product just for cars. So tell me, do you use bondo on your guitar? If you don't then what do you use?
    I swear, by my life and my love of it, that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine. - Ayn Rand

Re: Bondo to fix dings in a guitar?

MM2002 is the king of the Bondo refin. Here's a link to one of his projects:

http://www.jcfonline.com/ubbthreads/...&page=3#323644

I've used Bondo on guitars myself a couple of times now, & I'm a believer. Here's a link to another thread from a while ago where it was discussed:

http://www.jcfonline.com/ubbthreads/show...true#Post417725

Comment

Thanks dg!
      I swear, by my life and my love of it, that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine. - Ayn Rand

Comment

I've used Bondo to fill in single coil holes. I think I screwed in the pickup covers first to fill up the space, then Bondo'd over them. Still ok after 15 years (maybe slightly sunk in).

Comment

To fill holes I've used that "Great Stuff" before with good results. It's an expanding foam.

Jason

Comment

bondo is a little thicker than i prefer; on mark's recommendation, i've been using evercoat's polyester glaze, and i like it much better.
            Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
            Sully Guitars on Facebook
            Sully Guitars on Google+
            Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Working...
            X