Gotta ding on my soloist!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gotta ding on my soloist!

On the back, I think I dropped it wrong into the guitar stand. It's quite small, about the size of the head of a pin, but it shows! Any good remedies? Do I try to match the color using nail polish?

Re: Gotta ding on my soloist!

nope. deal with it and move on. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
    Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
    Sully Guitars on Facebook
    Sully Guitars on Google+
    Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Battle Scar wear it with pride!

Comment

I would use precolored wood dough to fill dings, but if they're the size of a pin, I would not touch it.
        Take your time and make some trial on scrap, because I've seen those homemade repairs often only making things worse. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

If you are gonna play it and gig with it then leave it alone. If you are constructing a glass case for it to display in your flawless Soloist museum I would suggest taking it to a professional and spending around $500.00 to have it restored back to iriginal mint flawless condition.
          I guess it shows... but I hate questions like this regarding guitars that are gigged and played.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
            nope. deal with it and move on. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Ha Ha! That's what the practical side of me said [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Or like Pete Townsend said (or was it Keith Richards), "I play the thing, I don't F it." BTW, I don't gig with this axe, like Nigel Tufnel, "I play them, I cherish them...." Just is a bummer considering what a great pain job this is (red ghost flames). Okay, I'll build a bridge and get over it unless it starts to chip away or something

[ QUOTE ]
            Battle Scar wear it with pride!

[/ QUOTE ]
            Done!

Comment

I'm usually relieved when I get that first ding in it. Then I don't have to walk around afraid of it.

Comment

Surprisingly, I've only chipped the ones I was conciously worried about chipping. The ones where I said "It's mine forever, I'm gonna play it like it's meant to be played and damn the dings" are still mint [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Every guitar I own, except one, has chips down to the wood. It doesn't change the playability or the sound, so I don't really care.

The first ding on a new guitar is the worst, after that they just add more character.
                  ...that the play is the tragedy, "Man"

Comment

Even moreso if its on the back, the only one who will ever see it is you!

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                      Okay, I'll build a bridge and get over it unless it starts to chip away or something.

[/ QUOTE ]

to keep that from happening, drop a bit of superglue in there, and wetsand and buff it out. lemme know if you need more specific directions.
                      Sully Guitars on Google+
                      Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Can you describe the wet sanding process? Would that be a super fine grit, wetted down?

Thanks

Comment

in a nutshell, here's what you need:

- water thin super glue (hobby lobby is a good place to get some)
                          - glue accelerator (also found at hobby lobby)
                          - 3M masking tape (blue stuff...it rules)
                          - sandpaper grits 600, 800, 1000, 1200, 1500, 2000, 2500
                          - sanding block
                          - fine cut rubbing compound (3M finesse-it, or Meguiar's is good)
                          - swirl remover (3M or Meguiar's again)
                          - random orbital hand buffer ($20 at home depot - you can use them for a bunch of other guitar related things too)

here's how to do it:

- make sure the area is clean and free of dirt
                          - mask around the area that you're going to do the drop fill
                          - drop a drop of glue on the chipped area; since this stuff is water thin, you don't really have to squeeze the bottle too hard at all. you can usually get a little out by tilting the bottle a little.
                          - spray a little bit of the accellerator on the glue, and it'll dry in a few seconds or so. if the hole isn't filled in completely, repeat the process. the cool thing about the glue is that it will dry in a convex manner, so one drop should take care of it, and you'll just sand it flat.
                          - once that's hardened, start sanding with the 600 grit; this is what you're going to use to get it mostly flat. switch to the 800 once you're just about flat. the trick here is to avoid the rest of the finish, as 600 grit will go through clear coat pretty quickly.
                          -once you've got it flat, go to the 1000 grit, then work your way to the 2500 grit. as you get past 1200, you're probably not going to need to spend much time with the 1500 - 2500.
                          - once done, grab the buffer, and put a little of the fine cut compound on there, and buff it out really quick. shouldn't take too long to get the 2500 grit's scratches out.
                          - change the buffer's pad and hit it with the swirl remover. in fact, you may want to hit the entire back of the guitar with the swirl remover, so you're all blended.

that's pretty much it. keep in mind though, that you're still gonna see the area where you dropped the glue. but that will keep it from spreading out.

sully
                          Sully Guitars on Google+
                          Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                            Every guitar I own, except one, has chips down to the wood.

[/ QUOTE ]

Matt...the Tribal flames RR, or the Witch inlay RR???
                            RIP Donny Swanstrom...JCF bro
                            RIP Dime

Comment

Jsullysix,

Excellent post! Thanks for taking the time.

-Matt

Comment

Working...
                              X