Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How difficult is it to install a Floyd nut?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How difficult is it to install a Floyd nut?

How much work would be involved in installing a Floyd locking nut or Kahler behind the nut lock onto a neck set up with a standard nut? Say something like, taking a Model 1 neck and adding the locking nut.

Re: How difficult is it to install a Floyd nut?

The Kahler nut is an easy install, but replacing a regular nut with a Floyd nut can be a PITA.

Comment

How much time and effort would be involved with the Kahler nut? Thanks a bunch.

Comment

The difficulty level of guitar repair is on a sliding scale. If you are handy with tools, a Kahler nut should be not problem. Just make sure you mark where it's going to go well, make sure it's going to fit clean, straight and smooth. Mark your pilot holes, drill them out, and screw your nut to your headstock.

Comment

Cool, thanks.

Comment

Would it be easier to use Grover Locking tuners on this kind of a neck or the Kahler type nut since they don't cost that much these days,I've got a Model 3 I'm payin on with a model 7 reverse maple neck on it and I was looking into locking Grover tuners but I cant find the reverse ones and I don't like the design of those sperzel kind.I really dont want a locking nut but I thought that Travis might want to look into GROVER locking tuners,BTW Travis I'll be posting my sunburst(same color as your twins.ser.#906326) 750XL as soon as I get access to a camera.

Comment

I think it depends on if you currently have a Fender style nut vs. a Gibson style nut. I have a Gibson style nut, but the Floyd nut hangs over the headstock face. Do I need to make a wedge shim for it?

Comment

Working...
              X