How much for a setup:floyd content

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How much for a setup:floyd content

I'm usually spending around $109-120 for setting up a OFR.Am I getting ripped?

Re: How much for a setup:floyd content

Yeh, I would say so. $60 bucks for the place I bring mine too if they need it really bad. I have 6 guitars with floating trems so I learned to do them myself.......
    "When a naked man is chasing a woman through an ally with a butcher's knife and a hard-on, I figure he isn't out collecting for the Red Cross"............ Dirty Harry

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
      Yeh, I would say so. $60 bucks for the place I bring mine too if they need it really bad. I have 6 guitars with floating trems so I learned to do them myself.......

[/ QUOTE ]

+1....save the money and take the time and learn to do it yourself.
      Good deals with:
      Metal Medal II, Tonyl11

Comment

depends on where U are. here on LI & in NYC thats about the going rate for most places.

Comment

ahh thanks guys.One of these days I will learn..hehe

Comment

Ouch, that's dear...it's not that hard to do yourself. [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]
            The only solution to GAS is DEATH...

Comment

It takes no more than an hour, 90 minutes tops, to setup a floyd. If I could get a job setting up floyds for $109 an hour, that would kick ass!!!!
              Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Comment

It cost me 110 EURO to get it set-up at 'music market'. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] Which is like $130.
                You took too much, man. Too much. Too much.

Comment

I pay 75 bucks, and that goes for the 7 string Ibanezes, too. My guy in NYC was the top guy at Sadowsky before starting his own place, and does work for Mike Stern, John Scofield, and lots of other NY guys. So, the best in NYC is 75 bucks, but he has the volume to ensure there are no down times, which also could affect the price at a smaller shop.
                  Courtesy, Integrity, Self-control, Perseverance, Indomitable Spirit

Comment

Damn...I pay 20 bucks here.

Comment

As far as making truss rod and intonation adjustments with floyds, I don't know how to do but if the right person came along I would love to learn it.

Setting up Floyds?
                      Really need specfics stated when taking it to someone else.
                      Avoids confusion.
                      Changing strings and adjusting the floyd so it lays/sets flat with the body of the guitar. This I can do and is very easy. Adjusting the floyd so it sets level with the guitar body, is done by turning the screws on the back side of the guitar tremlo cavity where the springs are.

Turn the screws (in or out...) alittle bit a time play to make it flat. Whamming away on the bar (bend it all the way down) helps speed up the task. If floating, bend it back as well, not although way back, but bend it back some. Then look at the tremlo again and see how its setting/laying. Repeat this process untill it sets flat with the body of the guitar.
                      Note: It acceptable to have it leaning back a schmid the leaning forward. The goal is to have it flat, this is what you shooting for. Changing strings and still sticking with the same gauge, the tremlo shouldn't teeter either way.
                      Some even use a alittle doo ma hicky thing behind/underneath the floyd so it will remain flat while changing strings.
                      Best way imo, unless your gonna clean the neck and among other things, change one string at a time till you have all strings changed.
                      Peace, Love and Happieness and all that stuff...

"Anyone who tries to fling crap my way better have a really good crap flinger."

I personally do not care how it was built as long as it is a good playing/sounding instrument.

Yes, there's a bee in the pudding.

Comment

wow, that's insane. i wouldn't imagine anyone charging over $40 for a truss rod tweak and restringing a floyded guitar. egads!
                        Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
                        Sully Guitars on Facebook
                        Sully Guitars on Google+
                        Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

When I was in college (the first time around) I had a buddy that worked in a music store and he would always hook me up with strings, straps, picks, you name it. So I always had tons of strings around.

I would charge $5 for a string change on a floyd including strings. That's how I made beer money for weekend [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                            wow, that's insane. i wouldn't imagine anyone charging over $40 for a truss rod tweak and restringing a floyded guitar. egads!

[/ QUOTE ]
                            Same here! And if someone can't set up a guitar with a Floyd in like a half hour, that's pretty sad as well.
                            I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Well, if someone is restringing it, checking the action and the lay of the trem, and doing the intonation with a strobe tuner to make it perfect they're likely not going to be doing it for 20 bucks. If someone goes from 9's to 10's and doesn't change the intonation it'll be out. It might be thisclose, but it will still be out. So, while I can certainly see reasons it would cost more depending on what you're getting, who's doing it and where, a good setup can't be thisclose. It needs to be spot on exact or it's off. I know guys who think they can setup a bridge by sight, just by looking at the positions of the individual saddles. I've always told them, "If that's good enough for you, fine" [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] I wouldn't go out on stage with a guitar setup 'ok'. I'd play it around the house or at practice like that, but not at a gig. Would anyone here go into the studio to record without getting their guitar setup by a pro?
                              Courtesy, Integrity, Self-control, Perseverance, Indomitable Spirit

Comment

Working...
                              X