Locking tuners: pros and cons

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Locking tuners: pros and cons

Anyone here use locking tuners like Sperzels? Any pros and cons? Any point to putting them on a non-trem guitar? Do you have to unlock them to tune the strings? Ed-u-ma-cate me please. Thanks!

Re: Locking tuners: pros and cons

String changes are very quick, so you can put them on any guitar whether it's got a trem on not.
    All you do is loosen the thumb screw on the back so that the tiny little pin inside the post barrell lowers. You put the string in the post hole, pull it tightly through so there's no slack at all, tighten the thumb lock which raises the little pin up from inside the barrell and actually "locks" the string in place. There's no need for ever having any winding around the post, so you'll never have the string slip. You tune up as normal and don't have to unlock the thumb screw again until you need to change strings.
    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

There are no cons to using them, that I have found yet. Other than you generally have to buy them aftermarket (extra expense) and get them installed (not always a direct fit).

I have locking keys on all my guitars — non-trems, acoustics, and even ones with locking nuts (realy speeds up the string changing process). I think I only have one guitar with a non-locking tremolo system, which is of course what locking tuning keys were designed to work with.

They're worth it in every way, and I heartily recommend Planet Waves.
      please don't put it into words, 'cause I fear what you're thinking

Comment

The only downside I can think of is that with sperzels, you have to drill some extra holes. No turning back once you get 'em on.

I have one guitar with sperzels and I love it. It holds a tune better than any other non-floyded guitar I have. The tuners feel solid and string changes are a breeze.

Comment

All of my guitars have sperzels. They hold tune well, and string changes are a breeze. You do have to drill a small set hole, but it's not a big deal. Also, they can wear out over time (I had a single 8 year old tuner go out on me), but all things wear out over time.
          ...that the play is the tragedy, "Man"

Comment

You might also take a look at the Schaller mini-locking tuners. They use the same principle as the Sperzels (a bolt inside the post presses against the string) but
            - the thumbscrew has a broader rim that doesn't hurt when tightening it (OK, I'm a sissy)
            - no alignment pins, but the standard Schaller/Gotho layout with set screws; if you're lucky, the just drop in without any need of drilling (Warmoth or Stew-Mac have diagrams with dimensions).

The only issue I had with locking tuners were slipping high b and e strings. I resolved that by threading them against the winding direction a second time through the post hole.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
              You might also take a look at the Schaller mini-locking tuners. They use the same principle as the Sperzels (a bolt inside the post presses against the string) but
              - the thumbscrew has a broader rim that doesn't hurt when tightening it (OK, I'm a sissy)
              - no alignment pins, but the standard Schaller/Gotho layout with set screws; if you're lucky, the just drop in without any need of drilling (Warmoth or Stew-Mac have diagrams with dimensions).

[/ QUOTE ]

The above is true regarding the Schaller locking tuners from Warmoth that retrofit to the Jackson tuners on the Charvel Model series necks without any redrilling. The only difference is the stems on the Schallers are a little shorter that the Jackson originals. The keys still clear the top of the neck, so they turn without any problem. Below is a pic with 3 schallers and 3 Jacksons showing the difference.
              "Your work is ingenius…it’s quality work….and there are simply too many notes…that’s all, just cut a few, and it’ll be perfect."

Comment

How good are the GROVER AUTOMATIC LOCKING TUNERS will they fit the model series guitars without modification?

Comment

When I mount Sperzels on my own guitars I pull the locating pin out of the tuner forst, and don't drill that hole. Works just fine.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                    How good are the GROVER AUTOMATIC LOCKING TUNERS will they fit the model series guitars without modification?

[/ QUOTE ]

They're great. They are cam operated so there is no wheel to turn, locking the string. pull the string through the hole and start turning while holding the string tought and it automatically locks the string.

They drop in with no modification at all. The only thing I would change is the grover button. I like the Schaller or Jackson buttons better.
                    "My G-Major can blow me!" - Bill

Comment

LSRs work like the Grovers do.

Those Schaller minis look like they'd be best suited for USA Jacksons (tuner holes closer to the top edge of the head) than imports [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

The Sperzel guys said last Summer at NAMM that they were doing a set with Kluson Deluxe-style "Tulip" heads like this:
                      http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...330910848&rd=1

The one guy showed me the prototype. I was ready to buy a set then and there, but they said they weren't done yet, and they'd have them on the site by January of this year. I've been checking the site and looking on Ebay (Dealers) but they're not available anywhere [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

Gibson probably screwed them out of it because of the Tulip knob [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]
                      I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Thanks everyone. I found a bunch of info on the HC forums and I called StewMac, Warmoth, etc.

I'll probably go with the Grovers on my MCS custom.

Everyone seems to have positive comments on the Sperzels, Schallers, and Grovers. Some people say the Shallers are a smidgen heavier than the other 2. The Sperzels have the lowest gear ratio. Overall they all seem pretty well made.

Comment

I use Sperzels and the factory locking tuners on my PRS guitars. If I could I would have locking tuners on all of my guitars for all the reasons mentioned.

Comment

i have a set of grover locking tuners, and they work fine, with the exception of the high E and B strings; it's very difficult to get the string out of there when it's time to change the strings. since they're smaller than the other string, maybe it gets seized in there or something, i don't know, but i do not like them. i've tried changing the tuners around, to see if there were specific tuners that were supposed to be for the E and B, but they all do it.

sully
                            Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
                            Sully Guitars on Facebook
                            Sully Guitars on Google+
                            Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Sully, have you tried using a screwdriver on the top of the tuning post to loosen the E and B strings?

Comment

Working...
                              X