JT580LP problems!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JT580LP problems!!

I have a Carvin DC127. It is routed for a Floyd. There is a route in the body approx 1/8" following the outline of the trem. I drilled the post holes out to accept the new larger inserts that came with the JT580LP. So far so good. Here is the problem. The JT580LP has long curved arms that extend from the saddles. These arms contact the fine tuners. These arms prevent me from installing the trem low enough flush and parallel with the body. It as if this trem is meant for a much deeper body route. The old single locking trem that came off of my Charvel 275dlx fits perfectly.
    Do I have the wrong trem for this type of body route? If so, what model do I need??

Re: JT580LP problems!!

I don't get it. I tried 2 different trems. I have to raise the tremposts way up for either of them to get the strings from sitting on the fretboard. What the heck is going on!!

Comment

580LP = crap [img]/images/graemlins/poke.gif[/img]

But yeah you'll need a slightly deeper route, or raise it up but tilt the neck back, or loosen the springs and tighten the strings so that the trem leans forward but the rear bars are level.
      I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Its not the route because I have to raise the tremposts up almost 1/2" to get the strings from laying on the fretboard. I can't tilt the neck back. It is a 1989 Carvin DC127 which is a neckthru.
        I hace a couple of crummy pictures on my website: Carvin pics

Comment

Maybe you need a different size block for the trem?
          I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
            Maybe you need a different size block for the trem?

[/ QUOTE ]

What would the block have to do with how high I have to raise up the bridge? The block isn't hitting anything at all.

Comment

Hmm. I don't know. [img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]
              I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Yup. Them's some crummy pics alright [img]/images/graemlins/poke.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

All I can say is you're gonna need a Floyd or a Schaller, or deepen the route so the bars aren't hitting.

HEY [img]/images/graemlins/idea2.gif[/img]

How about a Lion's Claw! No one's ever done a recessed Lion's Claw! [img]/images/graemlins/idea2.gif[/img]
                I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

Comment

I guess I didn't explain this correctly. I have to raise up the trem posts too much to raise the strings off of the fretboard. When I finally get the proper fret to string clearance the Floyd is 1/2" off of the body. On a bolt on, I would usually shim and change the angle of the neck. This guitar is a neckthru.

Comment

Ohhhhh, I get it, so you DO have plenty of room to actually work the trem without the little fine-tuning bars hitting the body, it's just that you're raising the trem really high off the body instead of being able to mount it flush with the surface?

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                      Ohhhhh, I get it, so you DO have plenty of room to actually work the trem without the little fine-tuning bars hitting the body, it's just that you're raising the trem really high off the body instead of being able to mount it flush with the surface?

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly!!

Comment

So what's the problem? [img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]
                        Is the action good or too high?

If the trem works, it works. If you want it flush, you'll hafta put 1/2" worth of shims under the saddles [img]/images/graemlins/poke.gif[/img]

Comment

Did the guitar originally have the recessed route? It almost looks like it could have originally been a top mount and the route wouldn't have been necessary.

Comment

It has a factory route. It is 1/8" deep and matches the route for a Floyd perfectly.

Comment

I checked with the original owner and he told me that it had an OFR on it originally. Wouldn't a JT580LB drop right in WTF???

Comment

Working...
                              X