stainless steel fret wire?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• stainless steel fret wire?

has anyone here had stainless steel fretwire on their guitars?
    "The cup floats pretty good till you get 2 or 3 people on it"~Vinnie Paul

Re: stainless steel fret wire?

Yup
    I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Yep. Great stuff - will last many times longer, never have to polish them, and they stay nice and slick. Easier to bend and vibrato on.

Bad side: they are a pain in the ass to install, so you'll likely pay extra.

Pete

Comment

ive never had a gtr refretted.and i dont think ive ever seen a new one with the frets.
        "The cup floats pretty good till you get 2 or 3 people on it"~Vinnie Paul

Comment

I had a Warmoth neck or two with SS frets. Didn't get to hang onto them long enough to judge whther they're really better than regular frets, but as Pete said, they do feel slicker.
          I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

love'em

Comment

I've heard manier guys say it makes the tone a lot more brittle and shreeky, though. Is this true?
              You took too much, man. Too much. Too much.

Comment

The tone stuff is bullshit. There's a guy on harmony central that refretted his les paul custom with stainless - said it didn't affect the tone. I had a warmoth strat neck I put on a Charvel USA strat - guitar sounded the same with the stock neck or the warmoth. Actually, the warmoth neck sounded a little warmer if anything.

Pete

Comment

How difficult would it be to install stainless frets myself? would I have trouble just cutting them...?

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                    How difficult would it be to install stainless frets myself? would I have trouble just cutting them...?

[/ QUOTE ]
                    Stainless fretwire is harder to work with and it wears down your tools very fast. Most techs charge at least double to switch up to stainless wire. And yes, it is a pain in the ass to do yourself.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                      The tone stuff is bullshit. There's a guy on harmony central that refretted his les paul custom with stainless - said it didn't affect the tone. I had a warmoth strat neck I put on a Charvel USA strat - guitar sounded the same with the stock neck or the warmoth. Actually, the warmoth neck sounded a little warmer if anything.

Pete

[/ QUOTE ]

Excellent, Thanks Pete!
                      You took too much, man. Too much. Too much.

Comment

Parker flys come with stainless steel fretwire stock. If theres a Parker dealer around you can try them out.
                        I find they bend a little easier too, but I don't see any other difference

Comment

This topic has come up before with mixed reviews. I have them on a Suhr and it has spoiled me for life. I really don't think I can own a guitar with out them.

Here is the previous thread:

http://www.jcfonline.com/ubbthreads/...0&fpart=1&vc=1

Comment

I've got them on several Warmoth necks too. A real nice slick feel. I don't believe they really affect the tone either. They wear forever.
                            Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

Working...
                            X