Removing piant from a neck

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Removing piant from a neck

Question.. I have a 1989 Carvin DC127. It is a neck thru. I have it just about completely stripped except for 1/2" of paint leading up to the edge of the fretboard on the entire neck. How do I get the paint off the wood all along the edge of the fretboard? It is an ebony fretboard and I would hate to scratch it all up. I tried 3 types of industrial piant remover and nothing affects this paint. Do I just tape the fretboard edge up and start sanding? Is there a better way? Thanks..

Re: Removing piant from a neck

Nope. Tape it and sand it.

Comment

If you've got good eyesight and a steady hand, you CAN break through the clearcoat using a Dremel sanding barrel on an electric drill (lower RPM - less risk of damage), and trace along the edge of the board in very small steps.
      Once you're into the paint, hit it with 60 or 80 grit paper.

Mask your board edge with a heavy duty tape (like electrical) and sand away. Even if you do scratch the edge of the board, you're probably just scratching the clearcoat if it has any on it. If it's not coated, then you're already so far into the paint that you'd lose maybe a micron of wood from the board. Ebony being so dense can polish right back up.
      I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

thanks... JG

Comment

Working...
        X