Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which EMG for neck, and which for bridge?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which EMG for neck, and which for bridge?

I know the usual train of thought is EMG81 for bridge, and EMG85 for neck, but has anyone tried this in reverse?

EMG89 for neck and EMG85 for bridge? EMG60?

EMG81's in both positions?

I'm planning on putting EMG's in an RR1, and I currently have the EMG81 only. I'll need to but one more EMG humbucker to do the job.

Re: Which EMG for neck, and which for bridge?

There's plenty of guys here who prefer the 85 in the bridge, myself being one of them! [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] 85 bridge with either 81 or 60 neck is my choice. I've also had dual 81s and the typical 81b/85n in guitars before, but I seem to keep going back to the 85 in the bridge as it is warmer/rounder than the 81.
    If I were to have a one-humbucker guitar, I'd probably use the 81, roll the tone off a little for playing rhythm, then kick it back to full on for leads.
    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

I've had 81s in the bridge and the Tone thing really didn't work for me. I do prefer an 85 in the bridge, as rolling back the Tone makes it sound like a neck humbucker (Iron Maiden solos - gotta have those [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img])

If you're doing sparkly cleans (rather than meaty Jazzy cleans) I'd put an 89 in the neck and split it. If you're doing nothing but Mosh, go with an 81 in the neck.
      I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
        I've had 81s in the bridge and the Tone thing really didn't work for me. I do prefer an 85 in the bridge, as rolling back the Tone makes it sound like a neck humbucker (Iron Maiden solos - gotta have those [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img])

[/ QUOTE ]
        True! The 85 definitely does sound close to a neck pup in the bridge with the tone rolled back all the way, especially in my all mahogany Les Paul. EMG's tone controls are very responsive and I felt they worked great for warming up the 81 a lot with it only turned down about half way.
        I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Go with a 89 ( it's a 85 & SA under a normal humbucker cap ) and is my favorate in any position.

Comment

I listened to the advice of many here to switch my 81 for the 85 in the bridge and I'll never go back.

85 in the bridge has some tone.

Comment

85 for bridge, 60 for neck for me. 85 has a more full-bodied sound compared to 81 and 60 is awesome for cleans. Not to mention it sounds quite nice in upper registers.

Comment

how does the 60 sound in the neck for let's say liquid lead tones? Does it do the job?

Comment

Well, I have 85 on the bridge 60 on the neck on 2 of my guitars. I prefer 85 to play lead or rhythm for the most of the time. 60, I use for cleans mostly. It has a lower output, but it has a hollow sound that I am very fond of mixing with some delay for some leads.

I don't think this was helpful... [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                    Well, I have 85 on the bridge 60 on the neck on 2 of my guitars. I prefer 85 to play lead or rhythm for the most of the time. 60, I use for cleans mostly. It has a lower output, but it has a hollow sound that I am very fond of mixing with some delay for some leads.

I don't think this was helpful... [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

haha,..didn't really answer my question but good info nonetheless. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

I've had a emg 60 in an 84 gibson V.Had the perfect clean tone..but back then I wasn't into shreadding and never heard it with leads.

Comment

85 in the bridge. A lot of people sure have converted over to this in the last few years.
                      The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

85,60 here.....

Comment

85 in the bridge, 60 in the neck. There's no other EMG humbucker combinations [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] I don't care for the 81

Comment

Thanks a lot for the great tips guys. I love playing Iron Maiden so I'll keep the 81 with the tone rolled back in mind.

I'm pretty much old school metal, Sabbath, Ozzy, Maiden. Priest, Queensryche, Megadeth, old Metallica, Armored Saint, Dokken, Scorpions, Accept, yada yada....

I have different guitars set up for different styles of music. This RR1 will be my Ozzy (duh), Metallica and Megadeth axe (I also have a Kelly loaded with passives). It will also be my only active guitar, and I'll be doing the 18volt thing. I think anyone into metal should have at least one EMG loaded axe, it just took me 20 years to get there.

Comment

Get an 85 better rock pickup- I have had 81's I had a buddy that started at EMG when there was 9 people and he would give me 81 85 sets. I always used the 81 in the bridge and they are ok but are kind of thin and flat.

I picked up a 85/sa/sa set on ebay a few years back for the fusion. Now the 85 in the bridge is one of my favorite pickups. It has more bass than an 81(from emgs website not just my opinion) and almost as hot. Much more natural sounding and its darker.To me 81 are just real one dimensional. Check it out.

An 89 is an 85 that you can coil split I belive

Comment

Working...
                              X