Fasel Inductors for GCB-95?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fasel Inductors for GCB-95?

Ok, is this business of Fasel inductors bullshit or fact?
    I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Re: Fasel Inductors for GCB-95?

Newc, the Fasel inductor works but you can get almost the exact same tone swapping out a single $.05 resistor.
    I'll say its basically marketing bullshit.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
      Newc, the Fasel inductor works but you can get almost the exact same tone swapping out a single $.05 resistor.

[/ QUOTE ]

wow, electronics, lu-uve it.. I'm just a bit puzzled by the quoted remark [img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img].
      IMO, the original Vox style inductor based wah circuit isn't identical in sound to other circuits, like multiple feedback opamp active filter circuits or the "state variable" style circuits used in other wah's.That's because with a Fasel inductor, the onset of saturation-generated harmonics comes a bit sooner because the inductor, all by itself is clipping asymmetrically.
      That slight deviation from linearity resulted in the sound everybody still seems to prefer today.
      Btw, it wasn't intended, they tried to be as cheap as possible using inexpensive materials.. turned out great. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
        [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

wow, electronics, lu-uve it.. I'm just a bit puzzled by the quoted remark [img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img].
        IMO, the original Vox style inductor based wah circuit isn't identical in sound to other circuits, like multiple feedback opamp active filter circuits or the "state variable" style circuits used in other wah's.That's because with a Fasel inductor, the onset of saturation-generated harmonics comes a bit sooner because the inductor, all by itself is clipping asymmetrically.
        That slight deviation from linearity resulted in the sound everybody still seems to prefer today.
        Btw, it wasn't intended, they tried to be as cheap as possible using inexpensive materials.. turned out great. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Nice technical answer but for me it is really simple.
        Give me a GCB95 Crybaby and a .05 cent resistor and 10 minutes later you will swear you are hearing a Vox.
        Give me 20 minutes and another 2 resistors and you will have a Hendrix wah.

Comment

well, I'm always eager to learn, would you like to share your solution?</p>

I've included the Crybaby GCB-95 Wah schematic:</p>

</p>

Comment

Working...
          X