Action survey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Action survey

Had a few problems getting the action as low as I wanted on my KV2, so what I've ended up with is 2mm@24th on the low E and 1.5mm@24 on the high E, using 10-52 string, tuned to Eb.

It's not bad, but not as low as my KV4, which is more like 1.5mm@24 on the low E, and 1mm@24 on the high E, same strings and tuning.

I was wondering if we could get a wee survey going of what people on here are using for comparisons, averages etc...

Something like:

Guitar: KV2
    String gauge: 10-52
    Tuning: Eb (1/2 step down)
    High E @ 24: 1.5mm
    Low E @ 24: 2mm
    Buzz: very little

Guitar: KV4
    String gauge: 10-52
    Tuning: Eb (1/2 step down)
    High E @ 24: 1mm
    Low E @ 24: 1.5mm
    Buzz: a little

I dunno, maybe I'm just being too anal... [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Cheers,
    Steve.

Re: Action survey

I don't measure my action, as I totally disagree with the idea of expecting a mathematical formula used to calculate string-fret height to be 100% correct when the frets are filed by human hand.

I set it as low as possible and still get notes out of it, then check for fretouts with bends in the places I normally bend strings, and raise it if I have to. I also work the trussrod instead of the action if need be.

Buzz only concerns me when it comes through the amp or interferes with the guitar's resonance - nothing worse than a Metal Monster guitar plinking like a damn Strat [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
    Acoustic string buzz is inconsequential as long as it doesn't come through the gain channel, interfere with sustained notes/chords, or drown out the notes on the clean channel.
    I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Guitar: Fender strat
      String gauge: 10-46
      Tuning: E Standard
      High E @ 12: 2 mm
      Low E @ 12: 2.5 mm

She's all I play. My shredders are at 1.5 mm - 1mm with 10-46 strings at standard
      Buzz: a little

Comment

In one of Dan Erlewine's books, he give action for a number of players (I think it's the repair guide).

Comment

I agree with NewC. I just lower it until the guitar no longer "speaks" clearly or frets out on a bend somewhere, then raise it a little. Every guitar is different.

I cannot stand a super low action when all the notes are strangled out by the strings slapping the frets above. If the guitar can't ring out unplugged, you'll never get it to sound good plugged in.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
            In one of Dan Erlewine's books, he give action for a number of players (I think it's the repair guide).

[/ QUOTE ]yep, that's the one, with specs from SRV, BB King, Albert Lee,.. not your typical metal player, but still.. respect! [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]
            But I agree with Newc, just put the action as low as possible so you don't get buzz through your amp and you don't note out on the bending. Measuring is only a momentary indication, because my necks do interact (slowly) each in their unique way to things like temperature and moisture changes, even if minimal.
            I like Erlwine's stuff, but sometimes he seems to forget it isn't an exact science and he takes things too far IMO. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

about once a week lately, if I'm lucky [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

oh, and I agree with Newc.
              Hail yesterday

Comment

which fret or frets are you guys measuring the string from?1st,12th last fret?the strings are alot closer to the first fret than the 21st,22nd or 24th on all of my guitars.
                "The cup floats pretty good till you get 2 or 3 people on it"~Vinnie Paul

Comment

Definitely not an exact science, what works for one does not necessarily work for others. Go by what feels best to you.

Comment

Working...
                  X