Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• wiring a pick-up..Question

Hi guys...
    Going to try and wire a guiatr from scratch...
    2 hums, 1 vol, 1 3-way.
    For the pick-ups, they are both Duncans so I will tape the red/white from each pup together and solder the green and bare of each to the pot.

For the hot wires, it looks like I solder one to each side of the three-way while soldering the middle pin of the three-way (via a wire)to the middle pin of the volume pot.

(I think that's right so far, does anything look way weird yet?)

Now, my real question is the ground...I know nothing about it...Looking at a diagram, is the entire idea to have one end of the output jack connected to one end of the volume pot and terminate this at the trem claw?

Worst case scenario: If I experiment and screw this up, can I damage me <eek> or my equipment?

Thanks everyone,

Dan [img]/images/graemlins/help.gif[/img]

Re: wiring a pick-up..Question

sounds like you're on the right path.

- black wires to the outside tabs of the switch
    - the two middle terminals of the switch are soldered together, with a wire connecting it to the hot terminal on your volume pot.
    - green and bare wires soldered together for each pickup and soldered to the top of the pot.
    - bend the last terminal back and solder it to the back of the pot; you can run a little bit of extra bare ground wire from the top of the pot to that terminal as well.

- the hot jack wire gets soldered to the middle terminal on the volume pot, and you can solder the ground wire to the back of the volume pot as well.

- finish it off with a wire from the claw to the back of the volume pot.

you should then be good to go.

use this if you need more help:

http://www.seymourduncan.com/website...1vol_3way.html
    Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
    Sully Guitars on Facebook
    Sully Guitars on Google+
    Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Re: wiring a pick-up..Question

Thanks Sully! Worked like a charm!

Searched all over the internet looking for something that broke it down like this...PERFECT!

Dan [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
      X