Pickup suggestions please.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pickup suggestions please.

I'm going to change the pickups in my new Xaviere Zeimatis copy. I hate covered pickups, so they're gone. I'm going to go with either black/cream, or double cream. I like a fairly high output. I'm a big fan of the SD Custom for the bridge, but I've never had one in a Les Paul style guitar before. What about a Dimarzio SD? Any ideas for a neck pickup?

Let's hear 'em.
    Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Re: Pickup suggestions please.

I don't think you can go wrong with a Duncan Custom in the bridge. The DiMarzio Super D is also an excellent choice, IMO, matched up with a Super 2 in the neck, but you may be looking for something with a little less power in the neck than a distortion-class pup.
    I've heard The Breed neck pup is supposed to be very good in the bridge of a set neck LP-style guitar, too. As far as a neck pup, I guess the '59 or Jazz, maybe a Humbucker From Hell.
    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

The green Pawn Shop I just got has a Custom Custom in the bridge and a '59 in the neck and sounds absolutely killer.
      Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam!

Comment

I might give that Custom Custom a try. I have heard good things. Maybe a 59 or Jazz in the neck. I'll probably have to order them, because finding them in cream will be a bitch.
        Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Comment

Customs are always popular in Les Paul guitars. Is the Custom Custom the Alnico 2 one? If so, that's a good choice.

Double cream is trademarked somehow by DiMarzio. You'll have to special order, and SD will put a cover on it, which you will have to remove. They won't sell an uncovered double cream from what I've been told.

Comment

I have a Custom in the bridge of my Epi LPC and it is pure butta!! Really brought that guitar to life.
            My future band shall be known as "One Samich Short Of A Picnic"!

Comment

A SD Jazz in the neck of a Les Paul sounds absolutely amazing. Cleans up a lot of the muddiness.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                Is the Custom Custom the Alnico 2 one? If so, that's a good choice.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep, that's the one.
                Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam!

Comment

I just put a dimarzio PAF Pro in the neck of one of my Jacksons and it sounds killer. Not sure what it would sound like in a Les Paul, but I can't imagine that it would sound bad.
                  Good deals with:
                  Metal Medal II, Tonyl11

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                    A SD Jazz in the neck of a Les Paul sounds absolutely amazing. Cleans up a lot of the muddiness.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed. That's what is in the neck of my Epi LPC.
                    My future band shall be known as "One Samich Short Of A Picnic"!

Comment

Steves Special in the bridge
                      Air Norton in the Neck

Comment

I have the Air Norton in the neck of my '86 RR, and it really smooth and musical. Very Vai/Satch-like.

Comment

Working...
                        X