Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• T-Storms and amplifiers

Hey guys,
    Just a quick question...today as I was about to crank my Mesa and shred away while no one was home...I watched all the lights in my house, along with my Mesa dim, shut off, then come back on...and I called it a night. I was curious how bad it is for an amp to go through that. I've always thought it would be cool to solo or play some dreary song...like Testaments Eerie Inhabitants...while thunder and lightning pound around your house...but I don't think it's the best for my amp. Any imput on the damages or whatnot of doing something like this?

Thanks,
    Nick

Re: T-Storms and amplifiers

Shutting it off real quick isn't that bad for it, and as long as it was JUST running it should be warmed up enough that turning it back on right away wouldn't be too bad for it. Now POWER SURGES are the things you want to look out for...

Comment

Shut the amp off and unplug it from the wall ASAP for christ sake, any time lightning is in the area. I live in Florida and thunder storms are a common deal. I have seen TV and appliances literaly fried by a lightning strike, surge protectors just flat out explode. I don't think I would want to be plugged into an amp when it gets juiced up with about 20,000 volts. [img]/images/graemlins/eek.gif[/img]
      I say the boy ain't right!

Comment

I make it a habit of not practicing when there is lightning, brown outs or power surges. It isn't safe for you or your amp.

Comment

Wow! Guess I should stop playin' guitar in the tub while blow dryin' my hair. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

On a more serious note, I would do what's suggested by safety experts. During a lightening storm around our house, we avoid bathing, talking on the phone, and I unplug my computer and amp as a precaution. Better safe than sorry. Thunderstorms roll through so quick that you won't miss much time surfing the web, playin' your ax, talking to Aunt Martha, or washin' your arse. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
          My future band shall be known as "One Samich Short Of A Picnic"!

Comment

Working...
          X