Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about SD Cool/Hot Rails

Guys,

I'm thinking about replacing the SD Hot Stacks in my SL-1 w/SD Hot/Cool Rails. I want something generally hotter to closer match the SD JB in the bridge, but to also retain some Strat-type tones in the 2-4 positions. I'm thinking a Hot Rail in the neck and Cool Rail in the middle.

Any suggestions or thoughts?
    "You are so stupid that I am surprised you have not collapsed into a singularity of stupidity." - Anon

Re: Question about SD Cool/Hot Rails

I've got a Hot Rails in the neck and Cool Rails in the mid matched with a Distortion in the bridge of my 650xl. It is a killer combo, and pretty much the best sounding guitar I have. The Hot Rails in the neck gives me the best shred lead tones of anything while the Cool Rails can clean it up. Be advised, though, that all 3 are full humbuckers and will not give you a true Strat type tone. I'm getting ready to yank out the active boost and rewire the guitar with 3 volume knobs and the neck and middle pickups split in positions 2 and 4 (no more pickup combinations, just full or split individuals).

Comment

+1 to what Travis said but the Hot Rails is so loud that I'd be a bit worried about it being unbalanced with a JB. I have a Hot Rails in the bridge and Vintage Rails in the mid & neck positions on an old Hamer and it sounds pretty good. The Vintage Rails are split coil pups and closer (than a Cool Rails), but not identical to, a Strat tone.
      Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam!

Comment

The Vintage Rails is supposedly identical to the very Strat-quacky Duckbucker, just in rail format rather than polepieces.

I have Hot Rails in the neck and middle positions of my Shannon Soloist, and the neck pickup is wired so that I can split it. I don't know, but it sounds very Stratty to me. [img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img] Anyways, mileage may vary. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

cool rails sound great. ive got one with a coil tap in a mod6.

Comment

Hot Rails are one of my fav. pickups in the neck. To me they sound very fat. A lot of mids and bottom. Turn the tone knob to half position and you have a badass rock-ballad lead tone ala John Sykes, very fat and smooth.
            "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
              The Vintage Rails is supposedly identical to the very Strat-quacky Duckbucker, just in rail format rather than polepieces.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not just supposedly, it is. Also great pickups. I've got a couple paired with a Hot Rails in a Hamer of mine also. If you want a true single coil sound without splitting a humbucker, and no hum, the Vintage Rails are about as close as you're going to get. But they are definitely lower output than the Hot/Cool Rails or a JB/DD for that matter.

Comment

I replaced the STK-S1 in the neck of my SL1 with a Hotrail. Killer set-up! Position 2 or 4 works really well for clean or strat type tones. Best HSS config I've found so far!
                Good deals with:
                Metal Medal II, Tonyl11

Comment

Thanks for the comments thus far guys!
                  "You are so stupid that I am surprised you have not collapsed into a singularity of stupidity." - Anon

Comment

Working...
                  X