No announcement yet.

Audio vs. Linear (log) taper pots.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Audio vs. Linear (log) taper pots.....

I've been reading up on the difference, obviously the linear pots have a 1:1 relationship of output to % rotation turned and audio pots are logrithmic (bell curve). So what pots to use for what? When would I want to use a Linear and when would I want an audio? I think all CTS pots are audio taper...is that the standard for Vol pots??

- Joel
    RIP Donny Swanstrom...JCF bro
    RIP Dime

Re: Audio vs. Linear (log) taper pots.....

Yes. Audio is the standard.

Comment

Audio taper is the standard for everything on your guitar. Linear taper is used for stuff like dimming switches for lamps.

Comment

You'll always want to use audio taper pots for volume controls. Your ears perceive relative volume on a logarithmic scale so for a volume pot to "work well" it'll need to be an audio taper / logarithmic pot.

Tone controls might be a different matter. What you're doing with a passive tone control (normally) is shifting the cutoff frequency of the lowpass filter formed by the circuit. Linear pots might be a better choice there but it'll depend on your personal taste and how you designed the circuit.
        Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam!

Comment

I'm not sure but I think EMG 25K pots are linear and I for one prefer them that way. Nice smooth volume swells And I actually use them volume for different tones.

Comment

Thanks guys! I'm always learning new stuff here from the senior (as in senior/junior...not old) guitarists! You guys know your stuff
            RIP Donny Swanstrom...JCF bro
            RIP Dime

Comment

Carvin does it the opposite way... linear for volume, audio for tone. Why, I don't know.
              I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Working...
              X