Taping pickups?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Taping pickups?

Does putting tape over a pickup have an effect of anything? I figured I'd ask here before trying it myself and getting sticky shit all over my puckup and guitar. [img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]

I remember seeing a picture of Dimebag's pickup taped, but I can't find it anywhere.
    Here's one though if you don't understand what I'm talking about.

http://returntothepit.com/media.php?...ma_jean050.jpg

Re: Taping pickups?

I can't imagine that tape would hinder a pickup's performance. It's the magnetism that is the issue, and I cannot see how tape over a pickup would hold back the forces of magnets. In fact, almost all pickups are wrapped in tape around their sides to cover/shield the windings. Why you would want to tape a pickup like the dork in that picture is beyond me, but then again, look at his guitar! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
    "Got a crazy feeling I don't understand,
    Gotta get away from here.
    Feelin' like I shoulda kept my feet on the ground
    Waitin' for the sun to appear..."

Comment

There was something in thread about the awesome Dime guitar that was possibly used by Dime where the buyer was excited about some tape-residue over the bass pup...Maybe this is something Dime did?

Comment

If you tape over all of the openings in the guitar you might keep the mojo from leaking out ....
        Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam!

Comment

Haha, maybe [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

Dime and Vai both use tape over the edges of the neck pup to stop the strings getting caught on it during wild bouts of Floydism

Comment

that is correct sir...
              Hear the universe scream
              Bleeding from black holes
              Whom horns careless
              And whom God mourns

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                Dime and Vai both use tape over the edges of the neck pup to stop the strings getting caught on it during wild bouts of Floydism

[/ QUOTE ]

Makes perfect sense. Thanks

Comment

I think the "dork" in the first picture (who's band by the way gave one of the best live shows I've ever seen) has the hole in his guitar taped over from where he removed the pickup.

Comment

that guitar is so damn ugly.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                      If you tape over all of the openings in the guitar you might keep the mojo from leaking out ....

[/ QUOTE ]

that's possible - anything you can do to get the mojo redirected to the capacitors.
                      I want REAL change. I want dead bodies littering the capitol.

- Newc

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                        [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

that's possible - anything you can do to get the mojo redirected to the capacitors.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ehem...I think you mean the capacitators.....they feed directly off the mojistors.....
                        RIP Donny Swanstrom...JCF bro
                        RIP Dime

Comment

Taping over a pickup other than out of absolute necessity is dumb and it looks like a$$.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                            [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Makes perfect sense. Thanks

[/ QUOTE ]

Ahhhhh, so this is how you can stop the high E from snagging on the neck pickup!!! On my Predator, the neck pickup has a pronounced ridge, or shelf....an overhang. It is a stock Jackson blade style. When I attack the high E on a down stroke, which I do often, it catches and gets stuck under that bastard...which is really annoying. I was planning on changing the pickup for something more mellow...but it has grown on me.

Mike
                            Sleep. The sound doesn't collapse to riffs of early eyes either.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                              I think the "dork" in the first picture (who's band by the way gave one of the best live shows I've ever seen) has the hole in his guitar taped over from where he removed the pickup.

[/ QUOTE ]
                              Well, he's still an idiot for using duct tape instead of strap locks!!
                              I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Working...
                              X