Different EMG models in the bridge position

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Different EMG models in the bridge position

I was wondering if anyone can compare/contrast different EMG models in the bridge position (specifically the 81, 85, and 60)

I only havre experiene with the 81 but on my next guitar I'm debating wich model to use. Any insite as to the differences in headroom, low end, crunch, bass, volume, and all that jazz are apreciated.

Re: Different EMG models in the bridge position

81 is brighter, 85 is warmer and rounder with more midrange... they're comparable in output. The 60 is the brightest humbucker EMG makes, a little less output; I don't know of anyone that uses it in the bridge, though. I prefer the 85 in the bridge with either a 60 or 81 in the neck on most guitars. I had two 81s in my old Hamer, but I wound up keeping the tone control on 5 most of the time because I felt it was a little too bright in the bridge.
    Check out the specs on their different pups on the EMG site. http://www.emginc.com/
    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

85 is beefier and sounds better than the 81 IMO.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
        85 is beefier and sounds better than the 81 IMO.

[/ QUOTE ]
        +1

Comment

I've got 81,85& 89 in the bridge position the 89 is my 1st choice 85 2nd & last 81. I don't know why everyone seems to think the 81 is so bright it has a lower RP the the 85 or 89 and always seemed kind of dull with no sparkel in the highs . I use a RPC with the 81 just to and a little 4K.

Comment

the sound I like isn't typical though, I use almost NO low end, Max high end, and about 25% mid. I have a very high crunchy sound with ear wrenching harmonics. I'm trying to figure out wich would be best. I'm thinking maybe HZ's might work good, I've heard active circuts scramble the high end signals and don't have as much harmonic potential.

Comment

I feel like you are describing L-500XL.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                the sound I like isn't typical though, I use almost NO low end, Max high end, and about 25% mid. I have a very high crunchy sound with ear wrenching harmonics. I'm trying to figure out wich would be best. I'm thinking maybe HZ's might work good, I've heard active circuts scramble the high end signals and don't have as much harmonic potential.

[/ QUOTE ]

how the fuck do you manage not to be deaf by now? to my ears EMGs have such enormous high end, that I always turned down the high a lot and boosted the lowend and midrange.... I hated them for that and that is why I in the end got rid of them all

Harrald

Comment

a 81 or a 85 works great in the bridge(also the 89 which is said to be a 85 with coil tap capibility)
                  I prefer the demonic sounding 81 the most due to guy like SLAYER,ZAKK and the countless other metal players that use one
                  it just has the "METAL" sound more so than the other EMG's [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]
                  If it's not a CHARVEL then i dont want to play it,look at it or even fuckin THINK about it!

Comment

If you go with HZs and the Afterburner, you have to either keep the AB barely on or turn your amp gain down, because a maxed out AB with a high gain setup will result in tons of hiss and oversaturation.

The thing to remember about high gain pickups and electronics is that they were designed and intended to be used with low-medium gain amps, so if you've got a triple rec or some other super-duper high gain amp, adding a Distortion-class pickup will NOT give you a good sound - you'll sound like a bee in a bottle, or white noise.

I've found the 81 to not be good for me in the bridge, as it cuts the low end. An 85 in the bridge has useable low-end, but the 81 is definitely a soloist's pickup.
                    I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Well I've tried the 81 and 85 in the bridge and I like the 81 better. I don't like the 85 in the neck too much either its kinda bassy there. Just get 2 81's

Comment

My favorite combo is 85 on the bridge 60 on the neck. 85 is really full, crunchy and has a very tight low-end while 60 is nice and bright on the neck.

Comment

an 89 is my favorite [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]
                          "It's because the speed of light is superior to the speed of sound that so many people look shiny before they actually sound stupid"

"All pleasure comes at someone Else's expense"

The internet is where, The men are men, the women are men, and the children are FBI agents.

Comment

At the suggestion of many here I put an 85 in the bridge of my Warmoth Mutt and like it a lot better than the 81 that was in it. For my custom shop order I ordered 89's to have the single coil option as well.
                            http://www.jacknapalm.com/

Comment

this is as usual an interesting topic. i only have one guitar presently with active emg, (death angel-emg 81) and have never owned anything with an 85, or 89. i've heard a lot about 85's being fuller, and a little less gain, but haven't heard as much about the 89's. keep this thread going, i might learn something!
                              Hear the universe scream
                              Bleeding from black holes
                              Whom horns careless
                              And whom God mourns

Comment

Working...
                              X