Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• amp talk: what is this?

hi all

i've got a question concerning amps. unfortunately, i don't know how those amp parts are called lol

anyways, lets for example take a look at a marshall amp, from the back side. talking about an jcm 800, there should be some blue thingys behind and right of the power tubes which look similar to a tube, but well.....blue.
    pictures describe it better than words, so take a look at this amp, the 4th picture
    http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...MEWA%3AIT&rd=1

first of all: what is it? [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
    2nd: until now, all amps i've seen had those blue things. now, recently i saw an amp where those blue things were not blue but black lol.
    well, the question is, does that make any difference? are the blue ones better than the black ones or vice versa?

ah, and by the way, i don't know $hit about electronics [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

greets

Re: amp talk: what is this?

power capacitors? something to do with power i think. i really dont know what they are, all i know is that I've touched em before (smaller ones, inside of video game systems) and ive been electrocuted by them. :lol

Comment

Those blue things are filter caps. They can be black and I've also seen them in green. They filter out electronic trash (noise). If these things start going south, they will affect the sound of the amp for the worse. Should be replaced every 10 years or so. Dont go anywhere near the underneath of them as they store very high voltages. Colors wont matter much but I personally prefer the F&T caps over the JJs.

Comment

Yep, filter caps and they can kill ya. Seriously.

Comment

ah, thanks. so the colour doesn't make any diferrrence, eh? alright.

but you said they should be replaced about every 10 years? mh...so if i'd buy one of those old 800 series marshalls (which i'm about to do by the way lol) which are already around 20 years old i should replace them or what?
          mhh..

greets

Comment

Filter caps are DANGEROUS. They act like batteries and store volage... even when the amp is turned off and unplugged.

Comment

It depends on how much the amp was used I've got amps that are 40+ years old and the caps have never been changed. Not that they shouldn't be but have them checked out by a tech. DO NOT mess with them yourself even unplugged they hold HIGH VOLTAGE for a long time.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                It depends on how much the amp was used I've got amps that are 40+ years old and the caps have never been changed. Not that they shouldn't be but have them checked out by a tech. DO NOT mess with them yourself even unplugged they hold HIGH VOLTAGE for a long time.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have heard of that but isnt that a disaster waiting to happen? I would have them replaced after at least 15 years. If one of them things goes bad, it could take out a power tranny among other things. It just isnt worth taking a chance on an amp thats 40 years old and worth triple what it originally cost or more. Imagine trying to sell that amp with replaced trannys or replaced caps.

Comment

I know but like I said I don't or hardly ever use them. Filter caps leak and slowly go bad. I've never had a cap job done how much dose it cost . My main amps for the last 29 years have been 2 JMP 50 watts 1 as the main 1 that never get plugged in as backup. I just sent a 100 watt to Fuchs for Modding to replace them so I might have them both looked at .

Comment

Caps should run you around 7.00 a piece. I'm not sure how much a tech would charge you as I maintain my own amps. Oh yeah, keep those 50 watters stock. Modding, to me, is a no-no. Buy an amp thats already hot rodded. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

Have your amps checked out, this isn't really a good place for a DIY type to learn. One small mistake and you're history.

You can't go only by age of capacitors regarding time to replace - brand, how often the amp was used, and other small factors can influence capacitor life. An amp that was played often will require fewer cap replacements than an amp that gets played once every 10 years.

Pete

Comment

The 50 watter are stock, the amp I sent to be modded was a Fender pa 100. My 100 watt super tremolo is also stock

Comment

Working...
                        X