Anyone dissect an EMG?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone dissect an EMG?

Anyone? I'm curious to know what the insides look like, and if the internal preamp can be removed and jacked into a Duncan or mounted to an on/off switch [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
    I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Re: Anyone dissect an EMG?

you're the doctor around here [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

chris

Comment

Some of us don't like to break our properly working pickups [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

Sorry Newc, this is one that I honestly expected that if anyone, YOU would know [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

Comment

under the plastic cover the 81 looks a lot like this
          the X2N
          If it's not a CHARVEL then i dont want to play it,look at it or even fuckin THINK about it!

Comment

Except for the 60. It's actually a mini-sized humbucker in there. Why they don't make a cover for it to fit into a Firebird, I don't know.
            please don't put it into words, 'cause I fear what you're thinking

Comment

Necro....they do bro! I forgot which meodel number it is (35 rings a bell to me for some reason)....but they did (or maybe still do) make a Firebird sized humbuck.

Comment

I don't see it listed on their site. Must be custom.
                please don't put it into words, 'cause I fear what you're thinking

Comment

The 35 is the Bass pickup that looks like the 707.
                  I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

Comment

<font color="aqua">Hey Matt, I actually have one of the old EMG's with the brown back on it. The wires were cut pretty short so I was going to put it on the mill and take light cuts to see how deep the epoxy was. I spoke with Rick over at EMG about the thickness of the epoxy backing and he said it was only about a 1/16th deep.

I was just going to do a little area around the wires to try and get enough to solder a longer wire to, but I think I'll try to uncover the whole thing now since you're curious.

I've been very busy here but maybe I can check it out on saturday and try to get some pics for you.
                    </font>
                    Dave ->

"would someone answer that damn phone?!?!"

Comment

Cool [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

I'm mostly interested in the internal preamp than the actual pickup coil/design. I'm wondering if the electronics could be mounted to a passive pickup (Duncan, DiMarzio, etc) or to a pot like the Jackson electronics.

Comment

not really on-topic, but semi-related:

http://acapella.harmony-central.com/...hreadid=930535

(some guy (I think maybe a forum member here actually) sanded down some EMGs to put some metal covers on them (scroll down a bit))

Comment

Dave, anything you come up with would be much appreciated, since the quick connects snapped off an 81 I have, rendering it useless for the moment. I don't even use EMGs anymore, maybe I should try to sell it really cheap.

Comment

I might be interested in that 81 as long as the actual connectors are reachable, even with minor surgery [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

I'll try to get some pics of it to PM you, they've got about 1/8" sticking out of the pickup. They broke at the bend in the pins.

Comment

Working...
                              X