Dimarzio Evolution pup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dimarzio Evolution pup

Thanks for the advice the other day on wiring Dimarzios where Duncans used to be...I dropped-in the Evolution in place of the JB and thought I would tell you guys what I thought...

1. I HATED taking the JB out of that guitar...(Not sure of the wood type, but it is a HEAVY old Chandler body)...It sounded AWESOME but (like a weenie) I wanted a weird color pup in the bridge position to off-set the pink JEM PAF PRO in the neck position. Once the evo was in, I nervously turned-on my gear...
    2. The evolution is one the most responsive pups I have used.. Changes in volume make a ton of difference here...When I roll the pot down, it really changes the tone a lot, a tiny bit bassy, like maybe a wah in the middle-to-open position. I like it alot!
    3. Not sure what the evo is doing tonally, but for the first time I am truly enjoying the sound of the bridge matched with the SD Hot Rail in the middle...The evolution made the sound very pleasing and <surprise> a bit Vai-like. After always putting everything on ten, I find my self playing all of the hi-gain metal sounds in this position and not noticing anything "lacking" [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
    4. It really is a clear-sounding pup for being so high-gain. A TINY bit shrill, but nothing that can't be solved by backing-off the volume 1-or-2 notches
    5. It seems to work well for all of the sounds I like (Jabs, Vai, Eddie, Dime, etc)...Good metal pup with the added bonus of being more than a one-trick pony
    6. I have a SD Custom 5 on it's way here for another guitar...I am hoping to enjoy that pup as much.

I know this wasn't a very technical post, but I know that with all the pup choices out there, I really like hearing people's RL stories about how they perform

Dan

Re: Dimarzio Evolution pup

Nice review. Thanks. I agree that the Evo is incredibly responsive. It has plenty of gain, and lots of character and versatility, IMO. It's become my favorite pickup.

Comment

I love the Evo myself and I agree with your review.
      FYI... you would also love the Steves Special, the Air Norton and the Tone Zone.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
        Nice review. Thanks. I agree that the Evo is incredibly responsive. It has plenty of gain, and lots of character and versatility, IMO. It's become my favorite pickup.

[/ QUOTE ]
        +1
        Love the evil tone [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img] I get when I tune my guitar down to D. The evos are very hot. They are my favourite along with the Bill Lawerence 500XL.

Comment

you guys hear about the EVO 2?
          http://www.bestguitarparts.com/guita...br%20/>kup.htm [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]
          If it's not a CHARVEL then i dont want to play it,look at it or even fuckin THINK about it!

Comment

Yeh, from what I hear it has less output than the original evo. Personnally, don't see the point if this is the case, may aswell go for the DiMarzio Breed or PAF Pro. However, I haven't found anyone who's actually installed one, so I dont know how they sound.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
              I love the Evo myself and I agree with your review.
              FYI... you would also love the Steves Special, the Air Norton and the Tone Zone.

[/ QUOTE ]

1+
              thanx for writing down my thoughts [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
              X